Sex Offenses

 Prevention and Education Programs

IU offers educational programs to promote the awarenes of rape, acquaintance rape, and other forcible and non-forcible sex offenses.  These programs are offered through:

  • IUPD-4201 Grant Line Rd, UC 027
  • Dean of Student Life Office-4201 Grant Line Rd, UC 010
  • University Personal Counseling Services-4201 Grant Line Rd, UC 201
  • The Center for Women and Families 812-944-6743

Procedures for Victims

Get to a Safe Place as Soon as Possible.

Preserve Physical Evidence

In the case of sexual assault, it is particularly important to remember that it may be necessary to preserve evidence for use in court or in university disciplinary proceedings.  Do not change your clothes, wash, douche, or use the toilet before seeking medical attention, as such activities may result in the loss of evidence.

Contact the Police.

If you are the victim of sexual assault, get help as soon as possible.  Report the assault immediately by calling the IUPD at 812-941-2400 or coming to the police department, located at 4201 Grant Line Rd, New Albany, IN 47150 in person.

Get Medical Attention

Victims of sexual assault should seek medical attention as soon as possible.  This is necessary to mitigate the risk of sexually transmitted diseases or pregnancy and to determine the existence or extent of, and to treat, any physical injury.  Additionally, medical personnel will obtain evidence to help in the investigation.  Not seeking medical attention could have physical and emotional consequences.  Victims of sexual violence may be eligible for certain services at no cost; the IUPD can provide victims with resources concerning health care cost and reporting to your insurance company, as stated in state laws.  IUPD personnel will assist a victim with transportation to a hospital, if necessary.  Some area hospitals have personnel who have been specially trained to deal with sexual assaults.

Reporting and Response Procedures

If you choose to report the incident to the IUPD, an officer will take a statement from you regarding what happened.  The officer will ask you to describe the assailant(s) and may ask questions about the scene of the crime, any witnesses, and what happened before and after the incident.  If you wish, you may have a support person with you during the interview.  IMPORTANT: Reporting an incident to the police is a separate step from choosing to prosecute.  When you file a report, you are NOT obligated to continue with legal proceedings or university disciplinary action.  YOU can CHOOSE whether or not to participate in proceedings at any point.

There are numerous reasons to report sexual assault to the IUPD, including:

  • Assisting the victim;
  • Taking actions to prevent further victimization, including issuing a crime alert to warn the campus community of an impending threat to safety; 
  • Apprehending the assailant;
  • Collection and preservation of evidence necessary for prosecution;
  • Seeking justice for the wrong that has been done to the victim; and
  • Having the incident recorded for purposes of reporting statistics about incidents that occurred on campus.

In the case of crimes not occurring on university property, IUPD personnel will also assist in contacting the appropriate law enforcement agency, at the victim's request.

Counseling Services

Victims may choose to seek assistance from the following on-campus resources:

  • University Personal Counseling Services (812-941-2244) is located at 4201 Grant Line Rd, UC South Room 201.  Counselors can provide confidential support for you during this difficult period.  They can inform you of common emotional reactions and discuss coping methods that may assist you immediately following the assault and later.  Talking about your concerns with a counselor in a safe and supportive environment may help you sort through your feelings and decide what to do.  You do not need to disclose your name if you call the University Personal Counseling Center for information.  Counselors will not reveal your identity to anyone without your permission.  Students may be seen on an emergency walk-in basis or by appointment.
  • Assistance and support for dealing with personal and academic issues is also available from the Dean of Student Life Office (4201 Grant Line Rd, UC Room 010, 812-941-2316)

Victims may also consult off-campus resources, including:

  • The Center for Women and Families (812-944-6743) provides a confidential hotline at 877-803-7577, and advocacy services 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

 University Disciplinary Procedures

If a sex offense involves another student, regardless of where the alleged offense occurred, the victim may request that disciplinary action be intiated within the university.  The accuser and the accused are both entitled to the same opportunities to have others present during a disciplinary proceeding.  The outcome of the proceedings will be provided to both the accuser and the accused.  This may only include the final determination with respect to the alleged sex offense and any sanction that is imposed against the accused.  The victim cannot be required to sign a nondisclosure agreement or to otherwise agree to a prohibition from discussing the case.  Notificaiton of final results is made to both the victim and the accused, in the same manner and within the same time frame.  Sanctions may include counseling, suspension, expulsion, or termination from the university.  More information concerning university procedures for disciplinary action is contained in the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Conduct.

Student victims may also request changes in university classroom, academic, and/or living arrangements; these requests will be granted when such changes are reasonably available.

– Back to Top –

Emergency Contacts

Emergency Contacts

Exclamation Point icon
  • On Campus Emergency –
    ext. 2400 , (812) 941-2400
  • Off Campus Emergency – 911
  • Campus Bad Weather Hotline – (812) 941-2567
  • Anonymous Tip Line – (812) 948-0684
  • Personal Counseling Services – ext. 2244, (812) 941-2244
  • Floyd Memorial Hospital – (812) 944-7701
  • Indiana Poison Center – (800) 222-1222
  • Center for Women and Families Crisis Line – (812) 944-6743
Campus Status
Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Question Mark icon

Where do IU Police Officers have jurisdiction to make arrests?

IU Police Officers have jurisdiction on any real property owned or occupied by the University or on any streets through or adjacent thereto. The IU Southeast Police department also shares concurrent jurisdiction anywhere in Floyd and Clark Counties through mutual aid agreements.

Read More Frequently Asked Questions >>

Annual Report

Annual Report

Read the IU Southeast’s Campus 2013 Security and Fire Safety Annual Report Online.

The report can also be printed from the Protect IU website.