C-3 - Definition of Clock Hour per Credit Hour
Target Group: Basic BSN and RN-BSN Students
Policy Type: Revision
To provide consistent interpretation of clock hours per credit hour.
- A clock hour per credit hour will be interpreted as 50 minutes for all undergraduate student learning experiences. This interpretation is to be applied uniformly to both didactic and clinical/lab/experiential learning experiences.
- Conferences/seminars or similar pedagogical approaches used in conjunction with didactic or clinical/lab/experientially oriented learning experiences must fit within the allotted clock time given that course.
- All individualized experiences connected with a required course must fit within the allotted clock time given that course.
- Clock time does not include time for activities (ex: travel, meals, breaks, etc.) related to the learning experience.
- Contact hour definitions:
- 1 credit hour didactic = 50 minutes
- 1 credit hour clinical = 45 clock hours
Effective Date: April 1995
Approved by: Admission, Progression, Graduation Committee: February 8, 2010
Approved by: Council of Nursing Faculty: March 15, 2010