B-4. Special Expense Hospitality
The IU Southeast Accounting Services department tracks all special expense hospitality expenses to ascertain both that university policy is followed and that budget is available. Please see the Accounting Services website for the official policy.
Campus Funded Events
This category includes candidate reimbursement expenses, first year seminar (FYS) socials, popcorn fund, and any other event that is being funded by the campus.
- Requestor will need approval for the event during budget construction via the form included in the budget packet.
- Budget Committee will rule on the events and approval letters will be sent to the requestors.
- Two weeks prior to the event, the requestor will complete the Special Expense – Campus Funded Event Payment Request form and send it to Accounting Services.
- Accounting Services will log the event, get the appropriate approval signature, and file the request form. If more information is needed, the requestor will be contacted.
- After the event, the requestor will send copies of receipts to Accounting Services for any personal reimbursements or procurement card charges.
- Payment process:
- If the event was a personal reimbursement, Accounting Services will process a disbursement voucher payment to the employee.
- If the event was charged on the departmental procurement card, the requestor will contact Accounting Services before approving the PCDO document in the KFS. Accounting Services will supply the correct account information to be entered into the document before it is routed.
- If the event was catered through Conference and Catering, Accounting Services will send the form and account information to conference and catering who will process an internal billing. Please notify Conference and Catering at the time of the reservation that the event is a campus-funded special expense event.
Departmentally Funded Events
- Requestor will request approval to host the event during budget construction via the request form included in the budget package.
- The Budget Committee will rule on the events and approval letters will be sent to the requestors.
- After the event, the department’s administrative employee will process payment from the department’s account using object code 4025
- If the event was a personal reimbursement, the department will process a disbursement voucher payment in the KFS to the employee using payment reason “Reimbursement for Out of Pocket Expense” and object code 4025 (please also document the name and date of the event in the “check stub” and “description field” sections of the document.
- If the event was catered through Conference and Catering, they will process an internal billing using object code 4025. Notify Conference and Catering at the time of the reservation, that the event is a departmentally-funded special expense event.
Midyear New Event Requests
- Requestor will fill out the special expense request form for the appropriate fiscal year and send to Accounting Services at least two weeks prior to the event. (This is the form that was included in the budget construction package for the year).
- If under $400, the director of Accounting Services will decide approval.
- If over $400, the request will be presented to the Budget Committee for approval.
- Once approval is granted, the request will go through the normal procedure outlined above based on whether it is campus for departmentally funded.
Reporting and Control
Accounting Services will perform a quarterly audit of object code 4025 to track all special expense events and assure that the total hospitality expenses for the campus are not exceeding the campus ceiling, as well as looking for any unapproved hospitality transactions. If there are any discrepancies, the requestor/initiator will be notified to make appropriate corrections.