Requirements for All Majors, Who Must Complete the Following Credits in English (2013-2105 Bulletin)
General Education Requirement (3 cr.)
- W 290 Writing in the Arts and Sciences (3 cr.) (minimum grade: C; should be completed within the first 60 credit hours of college credit)
Core Requirements for a Major in English (18 Cr.)
- L 140 Introduction to English Studies (3 cr.)
- L 371 Critical Practices (3 cr.)
Students should take L 140, W 290, and L 371 as soon as possible after declaring a major. English majors need to take L 140 and L 371 before they can enroll in any 300-level or higher elective courses. With permission from the instructor, students may take an upper-division course concurrently with L 140 and L 371.
- Two British literature survey courses from L 297, L 298, L 299 (or an approved substitute) (6 cr.)
- Two American literature survey courses from L 351, L 352, L 354 (or an approved substitute) (6 cr.)
Concentration-Specific Electives (See Literature and Writing Concentration Links)
- Literature Concentration 15 cr. in Literature (ENG-L), at least 12 of which must be at the 300 level or above (Note: ENG-L 351, 352, and 354 may not be counted as electives)
- Writing Concentration 15 cr. in Writing (ENG-W); see Bulletin for specific requirements
Concentration-Specific Capstone Courses (See Literature and Writing Concentration Links)
- Literature Concentration 15 cr. for a total of 33 cr. (not counting the W290 General Education requirement)
- Writing Concentration 18 cr. for a total of 36 cr. (not counting the W290 General Education requirement)
English majors may substitute any 300- or 400-level literature elective with appropriate historical breadth for L 297, L 298, L 299, L 351, L 352, or L 354; such substitutions cannot also be used as elective credit. See the Schedule of Classes for electives that may be substituted for these surveys or speak with your departmental advisor.