The Dr. Carol Bishop Scholarship - DEADLINE EXTENDED!
Dr. Carol Bishop was a Professor of English at Indiana University Southeast for many years. Before she died in the Spring of 1996, several of her colleagues and friends approached her about the idea of a scholarship for English majors to be given in her name. More than anything else in her life, Dr. Bishop loved to teach literature. She approved of this scholarship and specified the conditions under which it should be awarded. A very generous donation from Carol Bishop’s family, supplemented by other donations from previous students, her friends, and her colleagues, makes this scholarship of $1,000 possible.
- Any literature-track major in English who has completed at least two courses in literature, one of which must be upper level (300 level or above).
- A student may be either part-time or full-time, but part-time students must take at least three hours (six preferred) during each of the semesters for which the scholarship is awarded.
- The student should be interested in and enthusiastic about literature.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 overall and 3.5 in literature.
Application Submission Must Include:
- Your projected academic schedule for the next two semesters (including applicable summer semesters)
- A current academic transcript, with both your current overall GPA and your GPA in the major.
- Expository writing sample (limit of 20 pages)
- Your current email address and home address.
- A brief letter introducing yourself and explaining what the study of literature means to you.
Submit application to Dr. Christa Zorn (KV 200D) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IU Southeast Writing Competition
- Competition is closed for 2013.
- Flash fiction (limit: 1000 words)
- Fiction (limit: 7500 words)
- Creative nonfiction (limit: 7500 words)
- Research/report (limit: 7500 words)
Prizes (in each category):
- 1st ($50)
- 2nd ($25)
- 3rd ($10)
- Honorable Mention
- To be eligible, students must have been enrolled for at least one full semester during the 2012-2013 academic year, including Summer I and II 2012, and/or for Fall semester, 2013.
- Two entries per student per category. You may submit in as many categories as you like, but each entry must be accompanied by a cover sheet, and each entry must meet the requirements listed in the Submission Guidelines at the Writing Center website: http://www.ius.edu/writingcenter/contests-and-competitions/ius-writing-competition.html
The English Department Gala celebration and public reading to honor the winners will be held on December 5, 2013.
Metroversity Writing Competition
- January 31, 2013
- Short fiction
- Creative nonfiction
- Academic Writing
- International category for undergraduate international students
Prizes (in each category):
- In each category, monetary prizes will be awarded for first and second place and in two separate divisions - undergraduate and graduate.
- You may submit one work in each category, except for poetry, which is up to three poems. Prose entries may not exceed 40 pages in length. Winners will be honored at an awards ceremony and a public reading in April.
- The competition is open to any student registered during the academic year in one or more classes at a Metroversity institution. Entries must be unpublished, but they may be entered simultaneously in other competitions. Submission details can be found at the Writing Center website: http://www.ius.edu/writingcenter/contests-and-competitions/metroversity-competition.html