Creative Arts Coordinator
Job ID: 21068
|Salary||Approximate Hours Per Week|
|9.00 per hour||20 plus hours per week ; must be available Monday- Thursday 3-7 pm and Friday's for planning|
|Americana Community Center |
Louisville, Kentucky United States
|January 22, 2014|
|Position Type||Applications Accepted Until|
|Non-Degreed Positions||February 26, 2014|
Americana Community Center is looking for a Creative Arts Program Coordinator to work in a diverse multicultural setting and provide enrichment activities for the after school youth programs. This is a wonderful opportunity to grow professionally as you make a difference in the lives of youth.
In the After School Program, refugee, immigrant and U.S. born youth come for ESL (English as a Second language) classes and/or tutoring for homework and reading. Upon finishing classes, homework, or designated reading time students then have the option to attend a number of enrichment activities. These activities vary depending on the day and number of volunteers. Activity time is approximately 45 minutes long. The main function of the Creative Arts Coordinator is to create a safe, supportive and encouraging environment in which children may express themselves creatively. This is done by developing arts curriculum that exposes students to variety of mediums. Creative Arts Coordinator, is responsible for teaching arts curriculum in their area of expertise, as well as bringing in outside arts to expose students to all forms of art; i.e. visual, dance, drama, music, writing, etc. The goal of the Creative Arts Coordinator position is to help reduce stress, anxiety and aggression in children who may experience social, emotional and behavioral difficulties, leading ultimately to a healthier child and community. Youth programs staff, interns and volunteers will provide assistance and supervisory support.
- Develop age-appropriate projects and curriculum focusing on art techniques, such as painting, drawing, sculpture, photography, etc. on a minimal budget.
- Prepare and implement art and crafts programming that engage youth ages 6-17, while regarding sensitivity to all cultures, age groups and abilities.
- Create sustainable arts partnerships with other community and arts organizations.
- Organize and schedule artist to teach workshops.
- Organize and schedule enrichment field trips based around exposure to the arts (Open mics, performance art, art gallery openings, etc)
- Actively works towards finding funding sources with the help of Grants Manager.
- Responsible for interviewing and placing Arts interns in the fields of Art, Dance and Drama, working with them and Youth Program Coordinator to develop a schedule. And providing them with support.
- Prepare art activities and submit plan to Programs Director approximately 2 weeks before activity.
- Integrate Youth Program volunteers into arts and crafts programming.
- Maintain orderliness and cleanliness of Art Room.
- Maintain regular communication with Programs Director on scheduling, progress and concerns of arts and crafts programming and youth involved.
- Provide frequent verbal and written updates and brief reports on academic and behavioral progress or concerns of Americana youth to the Programs Director.
- Maintain and update Creative Arts resource manual as needed.
- Oversee the implementation of discipline protocol in the Art Room.
- Conduct individual sessions with youth as needed to help them manage stress, process their emotions and express themselves in a culturally sensitive and non threatening way.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma required, bachelors degree preferred
- Experience working with children in educational/enrichment setting
- Works well with people of a variety of cultural, religious and economic backgrounds
- Arts and Crafts Skills (therapeutic art interventions experience very helpful, but not required)
- Teaching experience a plus
- Works well as part of a team
- Self-motivation, enthusiasm, and positive outlook
- Bi-lingual skills a plus
How to Apply
Submit resumes via email to email@example.com.