There are 2 applications for admittance into the School Counseling Program:
- Seeking admission to the Graduate School at the School of Education as a School Counseling major.
- Seeking admission to the Clinical Cohort of the School Counseling program, once pre-requisites are met
- Attend a mandatory program advising session and complete program form provided during meeting. Check here for upcoming advising dates.
- Complete online application. Neither personal statements nor departmental questions are required.
- Submit official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work completed at institutions other than an IU school. Candidates must have at least a 3.0 GPA for graduate coursework or a 2.5 GPA for undergraduate coursework.
Once materials have been received, the Program Coordinator will review transcripts and candidate will receive an official letter and a detailed Academic Advising Checklist. The Advising Checklist will indicate which Pre-Requisites and Pre-Core courses candidate must take before submitting Application 2, Application to the Clinical Cohort.
Candidates need to complete necessary pre-requisites and pre-core courses prior to applying to the cohort.* The Program admits 16 candidates each year.
- Complete necessary Pre-req and Pre-core courses, as indicated by the Academic Checklist you received when conditionally admitted to Graduate School as a School Counseling major.
- Attend Mandatory Clinical Cohort Advising Session. Clinical cohort advising session dates are:
Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 5:30pm, UC 128
MAKE-UP DATE: Tuesday, February 20, 2014 at 5:30pm, UC 126
- Print and read detailed instructions on compiling your Application 2 Clinical Cohort Binder.
- Print the Application 2 Recommendation Directions and Forms.
- Fill out the top of each Recommendation Form, and give appropriate form to appropriate recommender. Give each recommender a stapled envelope addressed to:
Indiana University Southeast
School Counseling Program
4201 Grant Line Road
New Albany, IN 47150
Recommendations should be received by March 1st.
- Submit Application 2 Clinical Cohort Binder and three recommendations by March 1st.
*Candidates may still be completing requirements during the spring semester in which they apply for the Clinical Cohort, but must be finished with all requirements at the end of that semester to be eligible for acceptance into the Clinical Cohort. If you are still taking courses during the spring semester in which you are applying for the Clinical Cohort, you must submit a form from your instructor(s) indicating your grade at midterm.
The Application for the Clinical Cohort is evaluated on the following criteria:
- Grade Point Average
- GPA in pre-core classes
- Grades on assessment papers in EDUC-G 500
- Recommendation forms
- Years of post-BA/BS experience with K-12 age children (minimum 2 years required)
- Personal statement
- Bonus Points Experiences:
- In-Person Interviews
- Participation in a Short Activity following In-Person Interviews
Please Note: Taking the pre-requisite and pre-core courses does not guarantee entrance into the clinical cohort. Candidates not accepted may re-apply the following year. Those re-submitted application go back into the pool and compete against all others; they will not be given preference.