Both Indiana and Kentucky, as well as other states, require passing scores on designated subject area competency tests--Praxis 2--before granting a teaching license. Registration for the tests is through ETS. Our Secondary program requires passing scores before Student Teaching.
Consult with the Secondary Licensing Advisor to ensure the proper tests are taken.
The KY Education Professional Standards Board announced in the last week of June, 2012, that applicants for a KY “Statement of Eligibility”, who complete their coursework at an out-of-state institution (including IU Southeast), must first acquire a license from the institution’s state, and provide a copy of that license with their application for the KY license. (For an IN license, graduates must have the proper CPR/AED/Heimlich certification, suicide prevention training, pass the necessary IN Praxis II test(s), and apply and pay for an IN license.)
Program Completion Requirements
To be eligible to graduate, candidates must meet all of the requirements for Summative Decision Point IV as listed below:
- Completed and satisfactorily passed all coursework in professional education including Specific Methods and Student Teaching with no grade less than a 2.0 (C) and GPA of at least 2.75
- Completed all coursework in general education with appropriate grades
- Completed all coursework in major with no grade less than a 2.0 (C) and with GPA of at least 2.75
- Overall GPA of at least 2.75
- Completion of an acceptable portfolio
- Earned at least 120 semester hours (not counting developmental courses such as ENG-W 100, MATH-M 006, M 007, etc. and repeated courses).