Position: Honors Program Office Assistant
Part-time (10-15 hours per week)
Department: Honors Program
$9.00/hr. - NO BENEFITS
This position requires that the incumbent be efficient, helpful, and friendly in order to present the Program in a professional and inviting manner. Discretion and confidentiality are a must. The incumbent will provide assistance to the Honors Program Director as well as students and faculty. Tasks include filing, e-mail communications, mailings, scheduling appointments, phone communications, assisting current students, and assisting prospective students and their families. This position is pivotal in assisting the Director in making sure that the Indiana University Southeast Honors Program provides a challenging and supportive environment for its students, and that it maintains cordial relationships within the institution.
- A college degree
- One year applicable work experience
- Excellent customer service skills
- General keyboarding skills—45wpm
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel
- The ability to learn and work in FIS, SIS, IUIE, and other administrative systems
- Organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to work on multiple tasks
- Ability to work with a wide range of people
- Sedentary work: sitting for extended periods
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as a contact person and resource for Honors Program students, faculty, and related personnel.
- Develop regular communications and events for Honors Program students including e-mail newsletters, brown bag sessions, retreats, etc.
- Develop and schedule on campus recruitment events including informational meetings and appearances at open house and orientation events.
- Print and assemble mailings for recruitment and current student communication.
- Receive, post, and respond to Honors Program applications.
- Perform general office duties such as faxing, filing, making copies, and shredding critical information.
- Comply with FERPA privacy law. Maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Schedule and maintain Honors Council meetings, communication, and directories
- Update and maintain Honors Program Oncourse and Facebook sites
- Maintain student records, including:
- Honors student enrollment, in HP classes and in general
- Honors student advising: monitoring student progress in his or her given Honors track, including updating advising check sheets each semester and promptly notifying the Director of changes
- Honors student groups: regularly corresponding with the Registrar to ensure that HP students receive priority registration and have permission to enroll in Honors courses
- Honors student GPAs, for the purpose of congratulating those with exemplary GPAs, and alerting those on academic probation
- Honors student graduation requirements: reviewing all senior Honors student records to ensure that requirements for Honors designation(s) have been met
- Maintain Honors student Program Plan Stacks in SIS
- Maintain and troubleshoot electronic portfolios for each Honors student
- Order textbooks for Honors courses
- Manage and post Honors course proposals; correspond with faculty members to schedule future Honors courses
- Distribute course evaluations for each Honors course each semester
- Maintain Honors scholarships:
- Gather student information (GPA, test scores, and other pertinent information) and the recommendations of award amounts from the Honors Director for distribution to the Honors Scholarship Committee
- Inform students of Chancellor’s Honors Program Scholarship awards
- Post awards on SIS
- Monitor fulfillment of Honors Scholarship requirements
- Schedule Honors travel, for the Director and for students, including:
- Regional honors conferences
- NCHC and other assessment, research, and development conferences
- Compile and maintain Alpha Chi recruitment mailings and membership lists
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates must complete an IU Southeast Employment Application and typing test prior to deadline. Please attach a detailed resume to the application. Applications are available in the Human Resource Office. The Human Resource Office is located in the University Center South building, room 244; telephone number is 812-941-2356. Please call with any questions. Deadline: September 30th, 2013
IU Southeast is committed to a learning environment that actively seeks to support students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds. Consistent with the university’s commitment to diversity, persons from traditionally under-represented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.