Physical Plant - Part-time Custodian
HOURS: 5:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. Monday thru Friday
Pay: $8.63/hr. (no benefits available)
Our campus is friendly and fun. We grow people. It’s our business. At IU Southeast, we hire the best and brightest. If you are one of the right people, we encourage you to apply.
OCCUPATIONAL SUMMARY: Enhance the appearance of IUS by providing and maintaining a clean and safe learning and working environment. Tasks include, but are not limited to sweeping, mopping, and scrubbing floors; dusting, polishing, and moving furniture; operating vacuum cleaner, shampooer, and buffer; cleaning restrooms; washing walls, windows and chalkboards.
- Ability to read, understand and follow written and oral instruction
- Ability to work flexible schedule
- Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds
- Communication skills
- Proven orientation toward quality service
- Average mobility needed
- Ability to use or operate hand dolly, hand tools, shampooer, extractor, sweeper and buffer
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, reach, bend, stoop, squat, kneel, crouch, crawl, lift, carry, push, pull, handle, use fingers, see, climb a ladder and work in awkward positions. Unpleasant working conditions are: contact with hazardous materials, unpleasant odors, loud noise, vibrations, hot and cold temperatures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- ENTRANCES AND HALLWAYS: Sweep outside entrances. Vacuum carpets. Dust mop, wet mop hallways and baseboards, strip, wax and buff floors. Dust furniture and pictures. Empty trash, and pencil sharpeners.
- Clean computers, high and low dusting, wash windows and clean drinking fountains.
- RESTROOMS: Remove trash. Replenish supplies. Sweep and mop floors with disinfectant. Clean and disinfect urinals/commodes, toilet paper holders, sinks, pipes and walls around those areas. Clean mirrors, dispensers, and partitions. Spot clean walls and baseboards. Clean sanitary cans. Disinfect door handles. Check restrooms once each hour.
- CLASSROOMS: Wash chalkboards, clean chalk trays and erasers, replace chalk. Empty trashcans and pencil sharpeners. Vacuum carpet, dust mop, wet mop floor, strip, wax and buff floors. Shampoo or spot clean stains. Clean phones and computers. Wipe off and straighten desks. Change light bulbs. Dust (high-low) and spot clean walls. Some classrooms such as labs may require specific duties.
- LOUNGE AREAS: Empty wastebaskets/trash cans. Dust and straighten furniture. Clean and dust furniture. Vacuum carpet and spot clean. Spot clean walls. Clean computer glass. Clean microwaves, refrigerators, etc. Clean windows.
- OFFICES: Empty wastebaskets/trash cans and pencil sharpeners. Dust furniture, computer screens, and keyboards. Vacuum carpet. Change light bulbs (ladder needed). Clean telephones. Clean, wax, and polish desktops.
- STAIRWAYS AND ELEVATORS: Sweep, wet mop or dust mop stairs and floor. Check corners for spider webs.
Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties, responsibilities, and skills.
To Apply: Those interested must complete an hourly application form in the Human Resources Office, room US-244. Questions may be directed to the Physical Plant at 812-941-2330
IUS is a learning environment that actively seeks to support students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds. Consistent with the University commitment to diversity, persons from traditionally under represented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. IUS is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.