SCHOOL OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
Office Assistant/ Receptionist
Salary: $10 per hr.
This position requires that the incumbent be friendly, helpful, and considerate. The office strives to present a professional but inviting environment. All matters should be dealt with respectful discretion and confidentiality. Provides assistance and backup support to other clerical staff in the office; creates files, schedules appointments, and assists students with questions regarding the advising process.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent
- Two years office and/or customer service experience
- Excellent customer service skills
- General keyboarding skills – 50 wpm
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- PeopleSoft experience helpful
- Organizational skills with ability to work on multiple tasks in high traffic area.
- Ability to work with wide range of people
- Ability to lift 10 pounds
- Sedentary Work: sitting for extended periods
- Capability to access all filing drawers
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as the first contact for students—by phone and in person. Greet walk-in students and answer multi-line telephone with friendly and helpful demeanor.
- Gather pertinent information by asking questions and encouraging students to talk about their needs or concerns. Assist with intake assessment which includes: information dissemination by telephone and in person; scheduling appointments in electronic calendar with appropriate academic advisor; problem solving; serve as a resource person by informing students of University policies and procedures.
- Assist students in completing grade replacement forms by answering questions concerning policy guidelines and procedure. Review forms for accuracy. Verify the completion of the course and meeting of policy guidelines, forward forms to director for signature. Send to Registrar’s Office for processing.
- Manage School of Social Sciences Website using Cascade. Update faculty information and post events on school calendars. Check school e-mail and respond to students’ requests.
- Act as faculty secretary backup. Tasks include but not limited to: mail distribution, typing student comments in student evaluations at the end of each semester; making exam copies and fulfilling other tasks during peak season.
- Assist advisors in updating degree check sheets online and converting check sheets into editable PDF files.
- Assist students with registration questions.
- Comply with FERPA privacy law. Maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Perform general office duties such as faxing, filing, making copies and shredding critical information.
- Assist with special projects such as mailings, emails, etc.
- Serve as a member of the School of Social Sciences staff, providing input to the overall office operation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Interested candidates should email their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
along with completing the typing test prior to the deadline. The typing test is given in the Human Resource Office from8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The Human Resource Office is located in the University Center South building, room 244; telephone number is 812-941-2356
Our preferred hours are Monday-Thursday from 10:00 AM-3:00 PM (20 Hours per week) but we are flexible.
IU Southeast is committed to a learning environment that actively seeks to support students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds. Consistent with the university’s commitment to diversity, persons from traditionally under-represented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.