How Can We Help You Today?
The ILTE is the "teaching learning center" at IU Southeast. We are a resource designed to assist faculty with advancing and enhancing their teaching and learning.
We use a multi-faceted approach that will:
- provide opportunities to pursue professional development and improvement of teaching by offering workshops and symposia and fostering a culture of collegiality and excitement about teaching/learning excellence on campus;
- help faculty take advantage of rapidly changing technology that is pedagogically proven to enhance student learning;
- integrate associate faculty into professional development opportunities;
- assist faculty in developing effective strategies for selecting learning objectives, establishing effective course activities and assignments, and assessing student outcomes.
Fall 2014 Welcome Back Week events
- Canvas Week – Aug. 5, 6 & 7
New faculty HR day – Aug. 11
New faculty orientation - Aug. 12
Library & IT info sessions – Aug. 13
FACET/ILTE half day – Aug. 19. 8:15 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Faculty In-Service Day – Aug. 20, 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
New adjunct orientation – Aug. 20, 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m.
Canvas Week & Throw-Forward Thursdays
Are you ready to learn about Canvas, the new Learning Management System for IU? ILTE's fall workshop series has you covered. Before the semester begins, we're offering three hands-on workshops. And once the semester gets rolling, we're turning "Throwback Thursday" on it's head. We'll be throwing it forward, exploring the future of digital learning tools by offering a Canvas workshop almost every Thursday.
Canvas Week will be held in the library computer lab from 2-3:30 p.m. on Aug. 5, 6 and 7.
Throw-Forward Thursdays will always be in the KV-215 computer lab. Workshops are offered 12:20-1:10 p.m. and 5:10-6 p.m. each day.
Here are the workshop topics. Some topics will be repeated during the semester.
- Learning the lingo: A comparison of Canvas and Oncourse
- Communication tools: Inbox, discussions, conferences and more
- Getting started: Everything flows from Assignments
- Your utility player: The Pages tool
- Using the Quizzes tool (plus an anti-cheating service)
- Guiding your students with the Modules tool
- Using Outcomes and Rubrics to assess student learning
We expect these workshops to be popular. Register for Canvas Week or Throw-Forward Thursday workshops at this link to reserve your seat.
ILTE-FACET half-day workshop: Universal Design for Learning
Mark your calendars! This year's workshop will be the morning of Tuesday, August. 19.
The annual ILTE and FACET half-day workshops are being combined this year into a single high-impact day focused on the concept of Universal Design for Learning.
UDL is a framework that faculty can use when creating course activities and materials. By adhering to UDL principles, our course materials meet the diverse needs of modern students. Colorado State University has a nice video that explains how it has implemented UDL; click here to watch it.
And CAST.org offers a diagram that explains the different brain networks that we reach when we follow UDL principles. Click here to view CAST.org's digram, titled "Why is UDL necessary?"
Doceri for iPad
The Doceri app allows you to create presentations or control your classroom computer. The computer control function is available in most IU Southeast classrooms. Our handout from the Doceri workshop explains how to set it up and has questions and answers.
The presentations below require Adobe Flash to be able to view them. If you have a mobile device that does not support Adobe Flash, you will need to download the Adobe Connect Mobile app and then copy the URL into the app to view it.
Learn about Echo360 as a tool for both lecture and personal capture. PowerPoint slides. Adobe Connect address is https://connect.iu.edu/p786jo62x9r/
Learn about touch-screen annotation and how it can improve the student experience in this hands-on workshop. Click the title to view the presentation. Workshop Handout. Adobe Connect address is https://connect.iu.edu/p5ii55vcocc/
Presentation by Donna Dahlgren. Click the title to view the presentation. Adobe Connect address is https://connect.iu.edu/p2rluap7hka/
Presentation by Brian Hall. Click the title to view the presentation. Adobe Connect address is https://connect.iu.edu/p1o9dltpuhs/