International StudentsADDING ENERGY AND DEPTH TO THE UNIVERSITY EXPERIENCE We are excited to welcome you to our campus. Faculty and staff at Indiana University Southeast are committed to promoting scholarship and cultural understanding by educating all students in a global context. We look forward to working with you throughout your time at IU Southeast.Decorative Image

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) allows F-1 students to gain experience in their fields of study prior to graduation. Most F-1 students who have been studying full time for at least 9 months or 2 semesters are eligible for CPT.

Requirements of CPT Employment

In order to qualify for CPT, the employment must comply with at least ONE of the following conditions:

  • Fulfills an optional or required internship in the academic program OR
  • Fulfills a requirement for a regular course or independent study in an academic program OR
  • If working on a thesis or final project, the work must contribute "materially and substantially" to the final paper or project.

Apply for CPT

Step 1: Meet with your academic advisor and a career counselor. Explain that in order to be authorized to work off campus, international students must be registered for a course which is connected to the work. The advisor and counselor should guide the student in finding a suitable internship and in choosing a course which would qualify for CPT.

Step 2: Start applying for jobs.

Step 3: Once offered a job, get an official offer of employment letter from the prospective employer. Download a template.

Step 4: Ask your academic advisor to complete the CPT form.

Step 5: Register for internship hours through the Career Development Center

Step 6: Submit your employment offer and CPT form to your International Student Advisor. Authorization for CPT is noted directly on the I-20 form, and takes approximately one week to process.

PLEASE NOTE: F-1 students can use an unlimited amount of part-time CPT and still get 12 months of Optional Practical Training (OPT) following completion of studies. However, you use more than 12 months of full-time (over 20 hours/week) CPT, you will no longer be eligible for OPT.

SOCIAL SECURITY: Social Security (FICA) should not be withheld from the wages of an F-1 student on CPT if the student is classified as a non-resident for tax purposes. Earnings are, however, subject to federal, state, and local taxes.

Tours and Events