- Applications are submitted to MLS advisory council first, which reviews them for appropriateness (interdisciplinarity, student interest, etc).
- If approved, MLS advisory council submits them to APC.
- If approved, APC submits them to faculty senate.
- If approved, proposal goes to IU Academic Officers Committee by EVP for Academic Affairs
- If approved, MLS Director submits info to Registrar and updates web page. Concentration is active at beginning of next semester.
- Provides structure for MLS students
- Allows programs to incubate master’s degrees
- Existing concentrations are significant point of entry for MLS students
- Concentration appears on transcript
- Total Credit Hours: 34
- Basic MLS degree components: 13 cr. hr
- LBST D510
- 3 MLS seminars (1 in each school)
- Basis for concentration: 21 cr. hr.
- 5 electives covering at least 2 schools (A&L, SS, NS; SOE & SOB also considered)
- Thesis (covering at least 2 schools, thesis committee members come from at least 2 schools)
- Rationale: Purpose of proposed concentration
- Development: Faculty members involved in development of proposed concentration
- Interdisciplinary nature of proposed concentration
- Impact of proposed concentration (on students, on home program, on MLS)
- demand (e.g., expected enrollment)
- resource needs
- Proposed elective courses and nature of thesis
- How often are electives offered?
- Feasibility of student finishing in 5 years
- New courses required?
- Plan of study: provide a sample schedule for a hypothetical student
- Letters of support from relevant school Deans.
- Letter of support from an outside entity that can attest to the necessity and value of the proposed concentration
Deadline: Applications accepted any time