Journalism Honors Program Admission Requirements
To be accepted into the IU Southeast Journalism Honors Program, you must:
- be a journalism major with junior standing (56 hours or more) with a GPA of at least 3.3 in all courses and a GPA of at least 3.5 in all journalism courses
- have completed 15 hours in journalism, including:
- C200 Intro. to Mass Communications
- J200 Writing, Reporting and Editing
- one semester of C327 Writing for Mass Media (The Horizon)
Honors Program Application Process
To apply for the Honors program, contact a member of the resident faculty. A letter to the Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs is required to request permission to be a double major – journalism and journalism honors.
Honors Program Requirements
Honors students must maintain a GPA of at least 3.3 in all courses and a GPA of at least 3.5 in all journalism courses. GPA's will be computed at the end of each spring semester.
Honors students will also:
- Take two journalism courses at the 300 or 400 level that will be Honors Credit Courses (J499).
- An additional hour of credit will be added on to these two courses, so the student can complete additional research requirements appropriate to the honors program.
- The Senior Seminar course (J485) will also be taken as an Honors Credit Course (J499). A research paper will be written as a part of this course. This paper will be evaluated by all resident faculty and must receive a grade of "B" of better by all to be accepted as a requirement for the honors program.
- An honors student must also have a paper presented at an undergraduate or professional conference or in an academic publication.