Poetry, flash fiction (limit: 1000 words), fiction (limit: 7500 words), creative nonfiction (limit: 7500 words), and research/report (limit: 7500 words).
1st ($50), 2nd ($25), 3rd ($10) place and Honorable Mention entries in each category.
The English Department Gala celebration to honor the winners will be held December 2013.
To be eligible, students must have been enrolled for at least one full semester during the 2012-2013 academic year, including Summer I and II 2012, and/or for Fall semester, 2013. Limit: two entries per student per category. You may submit in as many categories as you like, but each entry must be accompanied by a cover sheet, and each entry must meet the requirements listed in the Submission Guidelines below.
- All submissions must be sent as an e-mail attachment (Word or pdf format only) to the address below.
- Submit entry in Times New Roman 12-point font, double-spaced (poetry may be single-spaced).
- Include your full name ONLY on the cover sheet, NOT on your story, poem, report, etc. Entries that do not follow this guideline will be disqualified.
- Create a cover sheet in Word with the following information:
- Your name
- Mailing address (including zip)
- IU Southeast email address
- Any other email address you use regularly
- Telephone numbers (including cell or work if you like)
- Student ID number
- A list of the titles and categories of your entries. (Each entry listed on the cover sheet must be included in the same email as a separate attachment.)
- The following sentence: “I Do (or I do Not) want my submission to also be considered for the IU Southeast Review (literary magazine).
- Save the cover sheet with the filename “2013 Writing Contest-yourlastname”
- Attach this cover sheet and your entries as separate Word documents and send via email to email@example.com. You will receive a confirmation that your entry email has been received by The Writing Center.
Remember: Entries without a cover sheet, with an incomplete cover sheet, or that don’t meet the guidelines for submission will be disqualified.
For questions, please contact The Writing Center at (812)-941-2498 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download these instructions as a PDF »