In order to major in music at IU Southeast, you must:
- Apply for admission to IU Southeast prior to applying to be a Music Major (For most concentrations in Music, there are no academic admissions requirements beyond those expected by IU Southeast. Students interested in Music Education must have a high school GPA of at least 2.0).
- Complete a Music Department Application
- Perform an audition. Admission to the Music Department is by audition only.
- Take the Music Theory Placement Exam
- Additional requirements are associated with majoring in Music Education. These are not required at the initial audition but exist as a second step once the student is matriculated at IU Southeast in the Music Dept.
It is expected that students wishing to pursue a degree in music will have a substantial background in music prior to seeking admission to a college music program. This background can include private music lessons, participation in school ensembles such as concert and/or marching band, orchestra, concert choir, show choir or musical theatre, music theory and/or music technology classes, or any other performing or educational background that included training in the fundamentals of music. Candidates are expected to read at least one clef well.
Music Education – students who have a successful audition/interview and a high school GPA of at least 2.0 will be admitted to the Music Department/School of Arts & Letters as a Pre-Music Education major in either the Vocal/General Music Track or the Instrumental Music Track. After completing the requirements noted below, they should apply for additional admission to the School of Education. (It is recommended that students do this at the earliest opportunity after meeting requirements noted below). Once they are successfully admitted into the School of Education students become full Music Education majors.
- Overall GPA in college matriculation of at least 2.5
- No grade in a music course of less than 2.0 (C)
- Completion of EDUC-F200 with an earned grade of at least 2.0 (C)
- GPA in professional education courses of at least 2.5
- Completion of ENG-W131, ENG-W231 and SPCH-S121 with a minimum grade of 2.0 (C) in each course
- Completion of the general education Quantitative Reasoning course with a minimum grade of 2.0 (C) – (M110 or higher)
- Passing scores on the CASA test or other state-approved alternatives based on Indiana standards (ACT Composite (no writing) Score of 24 or pre-2016 SAT score total of 1100 on Verbal and Math)
- Acceptable recommendations from instructors and field experience teachers in EDUC-F200 and the music education faculty advisor
- Additionally, once admitted to the School of Education, students in the Music Education program are expected to earn a minimum grade of 2.0 (C) in each required music course with a minimal overall GPA in music classes and professional education courses of 2.5 and maintain an overall college GPA of 2.5.