In order to major in music at IU Southeast, you must:
- Apply for admission to IU Southeast (For most concentrations in Music, there are no academic admissions requirements beyond those expected by IU Southeast. Students interested in Music Education must have a high school GPA of at least 2.0).
- Complete a Music Department Admission Audition Application
- Perform an audition
- Take the Music Theory Placement Exam
- Additional requirements are associated with majoring in Music Education. These are not required at the initial audition but exist as a second step once the student is matriculated at IU Southeast in the Music Dept.
Music Education – students who have a successful audition/interview and a high school GPA of at least 2.0 will be admitted to the Music Department/School of Arts & Letters as a Pre-Music Education major in either the Vocal/General Music Track or the Instrumental Music Track. After completing the requirements noted below, they should apply for additional admission to the School of Education. (It is recommended that students do this at the earliest opportunity after meeting requirements noted below). Once they are successfully admitted into the School of Education students become full Music Education majors.
- Overall GPA in college matriculation of at least 2.5
- No grade in a music course of less than 2.0 (C)
- Completion of EDUC-F200 with an earned grade of at least 2.0 (C)
- GPA in professional education courses of at least 2.5
- Completion of ENG – W131, ENG – W231 and SPCH-S121 with a minimum grade of 2.0 (C) in each course
- Completion of the general education Quantitative Reasoning course with a minimum grade of 2.0 (C) – (M110 or higher)
- Passing scores on the CASA test or other state-approved alternatives based on Indiana standards (ACT Composite (no writing) Score of 24 or pre-2016 SAT score total of 1100 on Verbal and Math)
- Acceptable recommendations from instructors and field experience teachers in EDUC-F200 and the music education faculty advisor
- Additionally, once admitted to the School of Education, students in the Music Education program are expected to earn a minimum grade of 2.0 (C) in each required music course with a minimal overall GPA in music classes and professional education courses of 2.5 and maintain an overall college GPA of 2.5.
It is expected that students wishing to pursue a degree in music will have a substantial background in music prior to seeking admission to a college music program. This background can include private music lessons, participation in school ensembles such as concert and/or marching band, orchestra, concert choir, show choir or musical theatre, music theory and/or music technology classes, or any other performing or educational background that included training in the fundamentals of music. Candidates are expected to read at least one clef well.
Admission to the Music Department is by audition only. Students applying for admission into the Music Department at Indiana University Southeast to pursue a B.A. or B.S. in Music degree – as well as those applying for a music scholarship – must audition at one of the Music Department’s scheduled Audition Days. (Please contact the Music/Theatre Office at (812) 941-2655 or email@example.com if circumstances preclude you from scheduling an audition on one of these dates.)
Audition Days for the 2016-2017 academic year are as follows:
- Nov. 12, 2016*
- March 18, 2017*
- May 20, 2017**
- Aug. 16, 2017**
*Indicates audition dates for those wanting to audition for a scholarship.
The Audition consists of a performance on the student’s chosen instrument, a brief vocal pitch-matching exercise and an interview. Evaluation of the student’s potential is based upon the specific degree and concentration noted on the application. Students interested in majoring in Voice, Piano or Organ may also be asked to sight-read a short musical excerpt on their instrument. Candidates for admission must submit a Music Department Admission Audition Application form and then schedule an audition time after they have submitted the application. Auditions will not be scheduled until this form has been submitted. The deadline to submit audition forms is three weeks prior to the audition date. In addition to the audition form, students should submit at least one letter of recommendation from their current applied teacher or school ensemble director and an official copy of their most recent school transcript. These materials should be mailed or submitted to the Music Department Office within three weeks of the audition date.