Information & Policies
The registration deadline is 2 weeks before the beginning of the semester. Please watch for deadlines prior to completing the registration form.
Registration fees are assessed each time a student registers for a semester or half-semester of lessons or registers for a class. The registration fee is non-refundable and is applied to each registration form. For example, if a student enrolls for one 7-week term and then decides to continue for another 7 weeks, another registration fee is assessed and another registration form must be completed. The Arts Institute retains the right to cancel a class if there is insufficient enrollment, in which case all fees will be refunded.
Payment is made at the time of registration. Registration is not complete until payment is received.
For those enrolling in a full 14-week term (or 12-week term in the summer), at least one-half of the total amount due (tuition + registration fee) must be paid at the time of registration. The remaining balance is due prior to the 7th week (or 6th week during the summer) of the term. If you are paying in multiple installments, there is an additional $6 charge for subsequent transactions.
For those enrolling in an 8-week term or less, the total amount is due at the time of registration.
Late payments will be assessed a $10 late fee charge.
If you are making a mid-term half payment or making a payment on your account balance and have already completed a registration form for the semester, you do NOT need to complete another registration form.
Lessons cannot begin until payment is received. Missed lessons due to a failure to pay will not be made-up.
Payments to the Arts Institute for tuition and fees are processed through the Indiana University Office of Conference and Event Registration Services (OCERS). Payments can be made by using a Check, Money Order, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express.
Withdrawals and Refunds
If a student must withdraw before the 3rd week of a session, a refund of paid tuition (minus registration fee and a 5% cancellation fee) for remaining lessons will be issued. Notification of early withdrawal must be made no later than the end of the 2nd week of the session. Refunds will not be given for withdrawal from a course after the refund period. Refunds requested due to illness or injury require a written statement from a physician. All refund requests must be made in writing and require approval from the Arts Institute Coordinator. The registration fee is non-refundable, except when the Arts Institute cancels a course due to insufficient enrollment.
The Arts Institute retains the right to cancel a class if there is insufficient enrollment, in which case all fees will be refunded. Should a private lesson instructor be unable to complete a semester of lessons, the Arts Institute will make every effort to find another teacher. If that is not possible, all fees from remaining lessons will be refunded (minus the initial registration fee).
What if my check is returned due to insufficient funds?
The return by the bank of any dishonored check/item which you have issued: (1) for fees; (2) for previous balance billed; or (3) anywhere on campus will be assessed a fee of $27.50 or 5% of the face value (whichever is greater), with a maximum of $250 per returned item. The agreement with our bank is that checks will be sent through twice before they are returned to us as a dishonored check. However, once we have received a dishonored check/item it is considered a returned check regardless of the number of times it has been sent through by our bank.
PLEASE NOTE: The Arts Institute will contact the student for any check/item that was written for tuition or fees and was returned by the bank as dishonored. The amount of the dishonored check/item and the returned check service charge will need to be paid with guaranteed funds by a specified date
If two (2) or more checks are returned, we will not accept another personal check for a minimum of two (2) years.
- Students taking private lessons in music or theatre have contracted for a teacher’s time and must pay for each class. In other words, there are no refunds for lessons or classes missed by the student or for portions of lessons/classes missed when the student is late or leaves early.
- Students are expected to notify the instructor of any absences. Please notify your instructor 24 hours in advance if you know you must miss a class or lesson. If you need to miss a lesson or class due to illness, please notify the instructor as soon as possible. Please contact the instructor directly if possible. Otherwise, you may call the Arts Institute Office at (812) 941-2436 to leave a message for your instructor. Refunds are not provided for missed lessons or classes. Missed lessons or classes are not rescheduled except in the following cases:
- If an instructor must miss a lesson or a class, he/she is expected to make up the lesson at a mutually convenient time.
- If an instructor has at least one week notice that a student must miss a private lesson due to school or other professional reasons (this does not include vacations), the instructor may (but is not obligated) to make up the lesson at a mutually convenient time. Rescheduled lessons in such cases cannot exceed more than two occurrences in a semester.
- Weather – if the campus is closed due to weather, lessons are also cancelled and the instructor will reschedule the missed lesson/class at a mutually convenient time. If an instructor must cancel a lesson/class because he/she is unable to reach campus on account of weather, the lesson/class will be rescheduled at a mutually convenient time.
- Lessons should be scheduled carefully with the instructor at the beginning of the semester. Students and instructors are expected to adhere to scheduled lesson times. These cannot be shifted weekly and should be changed rarely (if ever) and only for emergencies and with the express approval not only of the student and instructor but also the Arts Institute staff as teaching studios are in short supply.
Class or Lesson Observation
Parents may observe a lesson or class that involves their child only with the prior approval of the instructor.
The Arts Institute is happy to provide Temporary Parking Permits to currently enrolled students.
The Temporary Parking Permit allows you to park in the Red (“ST”) parking areas in the Hickory Lot (behind the Ogle Center) during lesson days and times.
Please display the pass on your dashboard. It should be visible to the University Police Department.
Thank you for supporting the Arts Institute at IU Southeast.
The IU Southeast Arts Institute is proud to offer quality music, theatre and art instruction to the southern Indiana and Louisville, KY areas. The wellbeing of each participant is extremely important to us.
Keep Us Informed
As a parent or guardian, it is your responsibility to inform the instructor of all food allergies, special needs or accommodations, and any information that may be pertinent to the safety or wellbeing of the child.
Parents/guardians must make accommodations for transporting their child to and from the program. Program supervisors, staff, and volunteers will not transport children before, during, or after class or lesson times.
Parents/Guardians must remain with the child
For children under the age of 16 years, a parent/guardian must accompany the child to the classroom and are required to remain in the Ogle Center during class or lessons times. Children under the age of 16 are not to be dropped off or left unattended. Parents/guardians are required to pick their child up promptly after lesson/class times. Children who are left unattended before or after lesson times will be accompanied to the University Police Department.
In cases of an Emergency
If you must be late picking up your child due to an emergency, please contact the instructor as soon as possible. If you are unable to reach the faculty member, please contact the Arts Institute Office at (812) 941-2436 or Music Department (812) 941-2655, Monday-Thursday, 8a – 5p or Friday until 4 pm. You can also contact the University Police Office at (812) 941-2400.