Deborah Finkel Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
Crestview Hall 019
Phone: (812) 941-2668
Dr. Finkel travels regularly to Sweden to collaborate with colleagues at Karolinksa Institutet in Stockholm and Jönköping University in Jönköping, Sweden. She is currently involved in a multinational project involving colleagues from California, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Scotland, Denmark, Finland, Australia, and Sweden.
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, United States
- Doctor of Philosophy, Major in Psychology, Minor in Statistics
- Centre College, Danville, KY, United States
- Bachelor of Science, Major in Psychobiology & Applied Math
Adult Development and Aging, Behavior Genetics, Evolutionary Psychology, Methods of Survey Research, Grant Writing, Senior Seminar
Applying the methods of behavior genetic analysis to investigations of cognitive aging and biological markers of the aging process Applying methods of longitudinal analysis to twin data to investigate genetic and environmental influences on longitudinal change.
- Finkel, D., & Pedersen, N. L.. (2014). Genetic and environmental contributions to the association between intraindividual variability in reaction time and cognitive function. Aging, Neuropsychology, and Cognition, 21 (7), 746-764.
- Finkel, D., Ernsth-Bravell, M., & Pedersen, N. L.. (2015). Sex differences in genetic and environmental influences on longitudinal change in functional ability in late adulthood. Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, 70 (5), 709-717.
- Finkel, D., Davis, D. W., Turkheimer, E., & Dickens, W. T.. (2015). Applying biometric growth curve models to developmental synchronies in cognitive development: The Louisville Twin Study. Behavior Genetics, 45 (6), 600-609.
- Finkel, D., Ernsth-Bravell, M., Pedersen, N. L. (2016). Temporal dynamics of motor functioning and cognitive aging.. Journals of Gerontology: Medical Sciences, 71 (1), 109-116.
- Finkel, D., Franz, C. E., Horwitz, B., Christensen, K., Gatz, M., Johnson, W., Kaprio, J., Korhonen, T., Niederheiser, J., Petersen, I., Rose, R. J., & Silventoinen, K. for the IGEMS consortium. (2016). Marital status moderates gender differences in genetic and environmental influences on subjective health. Behavior Genetics, 46 (1), 123-144.
- Andel, R., & Finkel, D.. (2016). Effects of pre-retirement work complexity and post-retirement leisure activity on cognitive aging. Journals of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, 71 (8), 849-856.
- Finkel, D., Sternäng, O., & Wahlin, Å.. (2017). Genetic and environmental influences on longitudinal trajectories of functional biological age. Behavior Genetics, 47 (3), 375-382.
- Finkel,D., & Reynolds, C. A. (Eds.). (2014). Behavior genetics of cognition across the lifespan. New York: Springer.