Dr. Donna Albrecht
Director of Graduate Studies School of Education
Director of New Neighbors Center
Associate Professor and Coordinator of ENL/ESL Programs
Hillside Hall 20B
Phone: (812) 941-2594
Dr. Albrecht has taught both English as a second language (ESL) and secondary social studies, and has administered in local and international PK-12 and college settings for over 25 years. She designed and administered ESL programs in Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, and in the United States. Before joining Indiana University Southeast as Associate Professor, Coordinator of ENL/ESL Programs and Director of the New Neighbors Education Center, Dr. Albrecht was the principal investigator for a National Professional Development Grant that began an English Language Teaching Program and Professional Development Academy. In that role, Dr. Albrecht directed, designed, and taught in the ENL licensure program and conducted Professional Learning Community groups on teaching culturally and linguistically diverse students in various school corporations throughout Indiana. Dr. Albrecht also led many aspects of successful accreditation processes, including CAEP and TESOL, and is a trained CAEP reviewer. Additionally, Dr. Albrecht leads a High Ability/English Learner Collaborative in conjunction with the Indiana Department of Education. Prior to that, Dr. Albrecht was the intermediate/middle school principal at the International School of Indiana where she revamped the newcomer program. Dr. Albrecht has an M.A. in TEFL from the American University in Cairo, an Ed.S. in School Superintendency from Ball State University, and an Ed.D. from Ball State in Educational Administration and Supervision. Her research focuses on the attributes, professional development needs, and policy issues related to leadership in PK-12 ENL/ESL programs; identifying and teaching English learners with high abilities; and effective training of teachers who work with English learners.
- Ball State University, Muncie, USA
- Doctor of Education, Major in Educational Administration and Supervision
- Ball State University, Muncie, USA
- Educational Specialist, Major in Specialist in Education in School Superintendency
- The American University in Cairo, Cairo, Egypt
- Master of Arts, Major in Teaching English as a Foreign Language
- Anderson University, Anderson, USA
- Bachelor of Arts, Major in Government; Economics, Minor in History
Dr. Albrecht's research interests are:
- Identifying and teaching English learners with high abilities/gifts and talents;
- The attributes, professional development needs, and policy issues related to leadership in PK-12 ENL/ESL programs;
- and effective training of teachers who work with English learners.
- Donna Albrecht. (2021). The journey from traditional parent involvement to an alliance for empowerment: A paradigm shift. Theory Into Practice, 60 (1), 7-17.
- Donna Albrecht, Trish Morita-Mullaney, Haley Frischkorn & Beth Samuelson. (2021). INTESOL Policy Brief on HB 1001 Budget Formula for the Non English Speaking Program p. 66 for the 2022-2024 Biennium. Indiana TESOL Website, 2 (1), 1-4.
- Indiana Department of Education English Learner Secondary Collaborative, Donna Albrecht Contributing Author. (2020). Indiana Department of Education English Learners Secondary Handbook. Indiana Department of Education Website, 1 (1), 1-44.
- Emily Suh, Lisa Hoffman, Donna Albrecht, Scott Wade. (2019). Promoting Student Voice and Choice: Examples from a Secondary EL Classroom Project. Indiana TESOL Journal, 16 (1), 1-33.
- Trish Morita-Mullaney, Donna Albrecht. (2017). English Language Learner (ELL) Preparation for Indiana School Educators: A White Paper. Indiana TESOL Website White Paper, 1 (1), 1-12.
- Donna L. Albrecht. (2015). An Exploratory Model of ESL Program Leadership. Indiana Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages Journal, 12 (2), 86-107.
- Donna L. Albrecht. (2015). Talking Points and Strategies to Get Your Administrators on Board with WIDA. Indiana Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages Journal, 12 (1), 51-63.
- Donna Albrecht. (2018). Chapter 11: What Preservice Teachers Need to Know about Teaching English Learners. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishing Company.