Dr. Rick Kenney
Visiting Assistant Professor of Journalism & Media
Horizon Faculty Adviser
Crestview Hall 038
Phone: (812) 941-2669
Kenney is a former journalist and professor who has worked at 11 daily newspapers (including the Baltimore Evening Sun, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, and St. Petersburg Times) and who has taught at 10 colleges and universities (including USF, UCF, and Hampton).
He has advised five student newspapers (including the Red & Black at Georgia and the Future at UCF).
He also directed a Dow Jones Newspaper Fund Center for Editing Excellence for seven years and wrote the corporate history of the Fund. He was named a Poynter Institute Ethics Fellow in 2003.
His academic research focuses on media ethics and on Japanese culture and philosophy. He has published more than 70 journal articles and book chapters.
- University of Georgia, Athens, U.S.
- Doctorate of Philosophy
- University of South Florida, St. Petersburg, U.S.
- Master of Arts
- Bethany College, Bethany, W.Va., U.S.
- Bachelor of Arts, Major in English
Journalism skills, law, and ethics.
Media ethics; Japanese culture and philosophy; Negro leagues baseball
Teaching Resource Websites
- Kenney, R., & Akita, K.. (2018). Made in Japan: Connecting the dots through contemporary Communitarianism’s intellectual history. Journal of Media Ethics, 33 (4), 170-180.
Baseball and Disney