Release of Student Information
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of your education records.
- Your records are considered confidential and may not be released to third parties (including parents) without your consent.
- Protected content of your record includes financial data, progress in courses, class schedules, grades, and academic disciplinary information.
You can authorize another person, such as a parent or guardian, to view and/or pay your student account by creating 3rd Party User access in One.IU. You can have as many 3rd Party Users as you want, and it’s simple to set them up. You can also delete a 3rd Party User.
Create a 3rd Party User
- Log in to One.IU.
- Read FERPA disclosure agreement (only presented first time you access page).
- Click I accept.
- Provide a username, password, and first and last names for your user. Note: password must be at least eight characters, contain one number, and is case sensitive.
- Click Bursar Balances and Bills box.
- Enter 3rd Party User’s email address; confirm address by entering again.
- Click Save User.
Modify a 3rd Party User
- Log in to One.IU.
- On 3rd Party Assignment screen, next to User ID of account you wish to update, click Edit.
- On next screen, you can do the following: change username, password, or first and/or last name, and use checkboxes to grant or remove access to your information. (If you are adding access to Bursar Balances and Bills, check that box and enter user's email address.) Note: Username is case sensitive. Password must be at least eight characters, contain one number, and is case sensitive.
- When finished editing the account, click Save User. If you change the username or password, you must let the user know. Note: After logging in with the password that you provide, your 3rd Party User will be prompted to change password.
3rd Party Users
As a 3rd Party User, you have access to the information specified by your student. Your student gives you a username and initial password so you can log in to One.IU.
Log In as a 3rd Party User
- Go to One.IU.
- Enter your student's university ID number and your username and password.
- Click Submit.