View current and archived statements from Indiana University President, Michael A. McRobbie regarding the worldwide Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Browse the Campus Updates website for information specific to the IU Southeast campus.
Most recent message from the IU President McRobbie
Fall Semester at IU will be in person and see a return to mostly normal operations
To all members of the IU community,
I am extremely pleased to inform you that the Fall Semester on all IU campuses this year will be in person. Though we expect that some of our present public health policies may need to remain in place, we expect that this semester will see a return to mostly normal operations of the university. This decision has been made on the basis of advice from IU's medical and public health experts who have been leading the university's comprehensive and successful response to the COVID-19 pandemic for nearly a year now.
Our ongoing mitigation and symptomatic testing data continue to show that COVID-19 cases on our campuses are very low and remain manageable. For much of the fall and winter, our weekly positivity rates have fallen well under 1 percent, even though IU's Pandemic Response Labs are now conducting up to 50,000 tests a week.
Additionally, more and more Hoosiers are being vaccinated as part of Indiana's phased rollout plan. Already, more than 905,000 individuals in our state have received at least one dose of the vaccine, and nearly 460,000 have been fully vaccinated. The new vaccines that are being produced and distributed to Indiana and other states have been spectacularly effective.
A return to mostly normal operations in the Fall Semester, then, will also rely heavily on all members of the IU community — students, faculty and staff — getting vaccinated as soon as they are eligible. I strongly encourage you to do so as soon as you are able. In addition, we expect that routine mitigation testing and other public health policies will continue at some level in the Fall Semester, and all of us will need to continue to adhere to these policies and engage in the actions and behaviors that have kept us safe, healthy and together.
As optimistic as we are, I stress that the battle is not yet won. For the rest of the Spring Semester — and into the summer — we need to continue to strictly observe IU’s policies, including masking, social distancing, avoiding crowds and groups, personal hygiene, and complying with regular mitigation testing, that have proved so effective.
The Fall Semester will commence on Aug. 23, 2021, and continue without a break through Saturday, Nov. 20, 2021. We will have a week’s break for Thanksgiving, and then the Fall Semester will continue for a three-week period from Nov. 29, 2021, to Dec. 19, 2021. Depending on the situation with the COVID-19 pandemic, it may be necessary to revert again to a hybrid mode of instruction for this final three-week period. More details about how each campus will operate for the Fall Semester will be provided on campus websites in subsequent months.
Since the onset of the pandemic, IU has prioritized the health and safety of the IU community and the continuity of our instruction, research and clinical operations. These priorities have guided — and will continue to guide — every decision we make to address the pandemic.
Hence, as we have learned from the experience of the past year, in the face of this deadly pandemic we cannot set any of our plans in stone. As long as the pandemic is with us, we must be ready to adjust course rapidly, and we will constantly review our plans, activities and operations.
However, because of the outstanding efforts of the entire IU community on all campuses across the state in successfully battling the COVID-19 pandemic over the last year, I am very confident that we will see a successful return to mostly normal university operations in the fall.
With thanks for all you do and continue to do for IU,
Michael A. McRobbie
President, Indiana University
IU President McRobbie's Past Messages
- February 2021 - IU's prime motivating force: The pursuit of excellence
- February 22, 2021 - An in-person spring commencement for IU graduates
- January 2021 - Leading with light and truth
- December 2020 - Bringing out the best in IU
- November 2020 - Thank you for keeping IU safe, strong and healthy
- October 2020 - IU is persevering and succeeding
- September 2020 - Responding to the pandemic
- August 24, 2020 - Indiana University President Michael McRobbie welcomes staff and faculty back to the fall 2020 semester (Video)
- August 24, 2020 - Indiana University President Michael McRobbie welcomes students back to the fall 2020 semester (Video)
- August 20, 2020 - A very important message from IU President Michael A. McRobbie
- May 27, 2020 - Plans for resuming fall instruction on IU's campuses
- April 30, 2020 - An update from President McRobbie on plans for restarting IU operations
- April 17, 2020 - A message from President McRobbie on IU COVID-19 research impact
- March 30, 2020 - A Message from Indiana University President Michael McRobbie (video)
- March 23, 2020 - A message from President McRobbie on the COVID-19 global pandemic
- March 20, 2020 - IU Postpones all spring commencement ceremonies
- March 15, 2020 - IU extends spring break and moves to remote teaching for the remainder of the spring 2020 semester
- March 13, 2020 - Additional closings and cancellations due to COVID-19
- March 10, 2020 - Urgent message from President Michael A. McRobbie: COVID-19