As a communication major, you will acquire knowledge and skills you can put to work in a variety of people-related careers. The curriculum is not designed to prepare you for a particular job slot, but through training in the communications arts and sciences, you acquire skills that will open up a wide choice of careers. Studies show that more than 70 percent of our waking hours are spent trying to communicate through words and actions. The need for good communications in all areas of life – government, business, education, industry – will always exist.
The concentrations for Communication major are:
Advising and Career Coaching
Jen Daniel-Daggett M.S.
Knobview Hall 110
Phone: (812) 941-2342
Gregory Roberts M.A.
Assistant to the Dean, School of Arts and Letters
Lead Academic Advisor, School of Arts & Letters
BAS & BIS Coordinator – Applied Science
Knobview Hall 110U
Phone: (812) 941-2584
Learn from Professionals
Social Media and Networking
Consider following and/or joining these local and national organizations to meet professionals.
- 1si Future Leaders Advisory Group
- Actors Theatre InterACT
- American Advertising Federation – Ad2 Louisville
- Association for Talent Development (ATD) Kentuckiana Chapter
- Greater Louisville International Professionals (GLIP)
- Greater Louisville Outstanding Women (GLOW)
- Louisville Digital Association (LDA)
- Louisville Urban League Young Professionals (LULYP)
- Public Relations Student Society of America
- Young Professionals Association of Louisville (YPAL)
Find and join IU Southeast student organizations through Grenadier Central.
Volunteer positions are a great way to get exposed to your field(s) of interest and to invest time in your local community.
- Actors Theatre
- American Red Cross – Kentucky Region
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Harrison-Crawford Counties
- Jane Austen Society of North America
- Frazier History Museum
- Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts
- Kentucky Derby Festival
- The Dream Center
- Volunteers of America Mid-States
IU Southeast students have completed the following internships to get related experience for their majors. For information on currently available internship opportunities, visit the Internships job board.
- ADK Group – Client Services Intern
- Bankers Life Fieldhouse – Guest Relations Intern
- Brown-Forman – Community Specialist, Global Marketing Intern
- Derby Dinner Playhouse – Assistant to Producer/Actor
- Disney College Program – Character Assistant, Costume Assistant, Guest Services
- ESPN 680 Louisville – Promotions, Marketing and Events Intern
- Expressive Concepts – Marketing, Communication, PR Intern
- Kentucky Derby Festival – Public Relations and Marketing Intern
- Kosair Charities – PR/Special Events Intern
- Scoppechio – Media Intern, Account Services Intern
- SmartBox Web Marketing – Digital Marketing Intern
- Vintage Fire Museum – Museum PR, Event Planning and Archive Intern
This top employers list was created using the Linkedin Alumni Tool.
- L&D Mail Masters, Inc.
- Jefferson County Public Schools
- Derby Dinner Playhouse
- The Alley Theater
- Heartland Payment Systems