For students interested in an English curriculum aligned with the more traditional career paths, particularly those leading to teaching and to graduate school, IU Southeast offers a scholarly environment that allows majors to gain knowledge and appreciation of the literatures of various periods and cultures. The English faculty strongly believes that the skills of critical thinking and writing are transferable to a wide variety of entry-level careers.
Because of the flexibility and complementary strengths of the English department faculty and the program itself, students have been able to combine courses in economics, management, human relations, and organizational theory within their English majors, making them even more attractive to businesses and organizations. In recent years, majors have entered the fields of teaching, publishing, business and industry, advertising, government, law, communications, and public relations.
The concentrations for English major are:
Advising and Career Coaching
Jen Daniel M.S.
Knobview Hall 110
Phone: (812) 941-2342
Gregory Roberts M.A.
Assistant to the Dean, School of Arts and Letters
Lead Academic Advisor, School of Arts & Letters
BAS & BIS Coordinator – Applied Science
Knobview Hall 110U
Phone: (812) 941-2584
Learn from Professionals
Social Media and Networking
Consider following and/or joining these local and national organizations to meet professionals
- American Copy Editors Society
- American Medical Writers Association
- Kentucky Reading Association
- National Council of Teachers of English
- Society for Technical Communication
Find and join IU Southeast student organizations through Grenadier Central.
Volunteer positions are a great way to get exposed to your field(s) of interest and to invest time in your local community.
IU Southeast students have completed the following internships to get related experience for their majors. For information on currently available internship opportunities, visit the Internships job board.
- Louisville.com and Louisville Magazine – Social Media Intern, Editorial Intern, Multimedia Intern
- Presbyterian Publishing Corporation – Marketing Intern
- IU Southeast Writing Center – Writing Center Consultant/Intern
- Frazier History Museum – Advancement Intern, Marketing/PR Intern
- Alpha Media – 102.3 The Max Morning Show Intern
- Volunteers of America Midstates – External Relations Intern
- Extol Magazine - Intern
This top employers list was created using the Linkedin Alumni Tool.
- Jefferson County Public Schools
- Norton Healthcare
- University of Louisville
- New Albany-Floyd County Consolidated School Corporation
- GE Appliances, a Haier Company
- Greater Clark County School District