Economics is the study of decision-making and public policy. It also studies the decisions of buyers and sellers in product and labor markets. Special topics include labor economics, urban economics, and such headline issues as the environment, poverty, crime, health, education, energy, and the arts. Most graduates use economics as a stepping stone to other occupations. Economic training is wide reaching, and thus, career alternatives are relatively well paid and unusually varied, including business, finance, banking, journalism, and government service.
IU Southeast offers the Bachelor of Arts in Economics.
Advising and Career Coaching
Hillside Hall 221A
Phone: (812) 941-2362
Career Coach & Employer Liaison for Business and Education
Univ. Center South 106
Phone: (812) 941-2265
Academic Advisor, School of Business
Academic Advisor, Safety Program
Hillside Hall 221B
Phone: (812) 941-2242
Learn from Professionals
Social Media and Networking
Consider following and/or joining these local and national organizations to meet professionals.
- American Economic Association
- Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management
- International Economic Development Council
- Kentucky Association for Economic Development
- National Association for Business Economics
- National Economists Club
Find and join IU Southeast student organizations through Grenadier Central.
Volunteer positions are a great way to get exposed to your field(s) of interest and to invest time in your local community.
- Kentucky Council on Economic Education
- Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services
- Volunteers for Economic Growth Alliance (VEGA)
- Louisville Asset Building Coalition
- Bastian Solutions
- Red Bird Mission
- Make-A-Wish® Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana
- Junior Achievement of Kentuckiana
- Peace Corps
IU Southeast students have completed the following internships to get related experience for their majors. For information on currently available internship opportunities, visit the Internships job board.
- Invesco – Business Analyst/Project Manager Intern
- City of New Albany – Economic Development Intern
- The Madison Group at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney – Finance Intern
- GE Appliances – National Direct Sales Co-op, International FP&A, Finance Intern
- Humana – Consultant, Accounting/Finance Intern
- Blue & Co., LLC – Accounting Intern, Audit/Tax Intern
- Brown Forman Corporation – Supply Chain Intern
- Clark Memorial Hospital – Finance Intern
- The RSX Company, Inc. – Accounting/Finance Intern
- Merrill Lynch – Marketing, Finance, Economics Intern
- Atria Senior Living – Financial Analyst Intern
This top employers list was created using the Linkedin Alumni Tool.
- LG&E and KU Energy LLC
- Norton Healthcare
- Atria Senior Living
- Fifth Third Bank
- Samtec Inc.
- State of Indiana