Chemistry majors will have the opportunity to gain experience in the techniques of atomic absorption, infrared, ultraviolet, and visible spectrophotometries, as well as polarography, nuclear magnetic resonance, mass spectrometry, differential scanning calorimetry, magnetic susceptibility, and various types of chromatography including gas, high-pressure liquid, column, and thin layer. Graduates with extensive training in chemistry can qualify for a number of academic, industrial or governmental positions which involve teaching, basic research, or administrative duties. Many industrial jobs for chemists involve developing new and more useful products and analyzing materials for quality control, environmental and consumer protection, and medical diagnosis.
A sound undergraduate chemistry background qualifies students for advanced work in graduate or professional schools. Aside from graduate studies in various fields of chemistry, other possibilities include specialization in medicine or related professions, food technology, agriculture, earth and environmental sciences, business and law. Also, students with training in chemistry can become certified to teach chemistry in high schools and junior college.
IU Southeast offers the following degrees:
Advising and Career Coaching
Sarah Barger BA
Life Sciences 258 A
Phone: (812) 941-2237
Shelia Gustafson M. Div
Life Sciences 258D
Phone: (812) 941-2219
Director of Career Development
Career Coach for Nursing and Natural Sciences
Univ. Center South 106
Phone: (812) 941-2430
Learn from Professionals
Social Media and Networking
Consider following and/or joining these local and national organizations to meet professionals
- American Academy of Forensic Sciences
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- American Society for Materials International - Bluegrass Chapter
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers - Louisville Section
- Biotechnology Innovation Organization
- Crop Life America
- Greater Louisville Medical Society
- Kentucky – American Chemical Society
- Kentucky Dental Association
Find and join IU Southeast student organizations through Grenadier Central.
Volunteer positions are a great way to get exposed to your field(s) of interest and to invest time in your local community.
- Kentucky and Southern Indiana Stroke Association
- Catholic Charities Migration and Refugee Services
- North Audubon Hospital
- Premier Hospice
- Kindred Hospice
- Kentucky Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP)
- ElderServe Inc.
IU Southeast students have completed the following internships to get related experience for their majors. For information on currently available internship opportunities, visit the Internships job board.
- Dermatology Center – Clinical Assistant
- Specialty Earth Sciences – Field Technician
- Idemitsu Lubricants America Corporation – Laboratory Intern
- Louisville Orthopedic Clinic – Physical Therapy Technician
- Precision Products, LLC – Mapping & GIS Support Specialist
- Hexion Specialty Chemicals – Lab Technician
- University of Louisville Physicians Group – Medical Records Clerk Department of Psychiatry
- Weisskopf Evaluation Center – Genetic Counselors Assistant
This top employers list was created using the Linkedin Alumni Tool.
- University of Louisville
- Zeochem LLC
- Norton Healthcare
- Dallas Group of America, Inc.