The Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science introduces the student to fundamental issues in the governmental process, social conditions that create a need for government, structure and procedures of governments, control of governments and enforcement of responsibility, and relationships among governments.
The goals of the program are to foster in our students an appreciation of government and politics and to prepare them to assume the duties of citizenship; to provide special knowledge and skills useful to those who plan to pursue public service; and to lay the foundations for the scholarly study of government, politics, and the law for those who plan to pursue graduate study or a legal education.
The political science degree program consists of two tracks:
- Traditional Political Science
- Public Service
Advising and Career Coaching
- Account Service Representative
- Campaign Manager
- FBI/CIA Agent
- Human Resources Specialist
- Legal Assistant
- Market Research Analyst
- Political Scientist
- Probation/Parole Officer
- Public Relations Specialist
- Sales Manager
- Social Worker
- Urban Planner
Learn from Professionals
Social Media and Networking
Consider following and/or joining these local and national organizations to meet professionals
- American Political Science Association
- Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management
- Indiana Political Science Association
- International Association for Political Science Students
- Kentucky Political Science Association
Find and join IU Southeast student organizations through Grenadier Central.
Volunteer positions are a great way to get exposed to your field(s) of interest and to invest time in your local community.
- CASA-The Voice of Clark County’s Children
- The Borgen Project
- Clark-Floyd Counties Convention and Tourism Bureau
- McCulloch Volunteer Firefighters Association
- River Hills EDD & RPC
- American Heart Association
IU Southeast students have completed the following internships to get related experience for their majors. For information on currently available internship opportunities, visit the Internships job board.
- Holcomb for Indiana – Grassroots Communication and Organizing Intern
- Floyd County Prosecutor’s Office – Paralegal Intern
- Indiana State House – Indiana House of Representatives Intern
- Indiana Forest Alliance – Outreach Intern
- Office of the Kentucky Secretary of State – Summer Secretary of State Intern
This top employers list was created using the LinkedIn Alumni Tool.
- Floyd County Government
- University of Louisville
- United States Air Force
- U.S. Census Bureau
- City of Jeffersonville
- United States Army Reserve