Why Study the Elementary and Secondary Education Graduate Program?

The Elementary and Secondary Graduate Program prepares licensed teachers with in-depth knowledge and skills. Practicing teachers will benefit from advanced courses in professional education, as well as courses in their specialties. The Elementary and Secondary Program are NCATE accredited.

Graduate Study in Education
Masters of Science in Education with Majors in Elementary and Secondary Education

The IU Southeast School of Education offers interested candidates a Master of Science degree in Education with majors in Elementary and Secondary Education. The M.S. in Elementary and Secondary Education is intended for practicing educators who hold or are eligible for a teaching license. The program is a 36 hour, performance-based assessment program. Graduate programs do NOT lead to initial teacher certification. Candidates in the M.S. in Elementary may complete coursework to add additional licensing areas to an existing license. See the Licensing section

The Graduate Studies Program follows propositions outlined in the National Board of Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) and includes performance-based assessment for five NBPTS categories (Education Division Approval 12/98):

  • Teachers are committed to students and their learning.
  • Teachers know the subjects they teach and how to teach those subjects to students.
  • Teachers are responsible for managing and monitoring student learning.
  • Teachers think systematically about their practice and learn from experiences.
  • Teachers are members of learning communities.

More information on these standards may be found at the NBPTS website.

Please Note: Interested candidates who do not hold a current license to teach should check the Transition to Teaching and/or Counseling websites for eligibility requirements. Also note, Transition to Teaching and Counseling candidates may not switch to the MS in Elementary and Secondary Education program without first meeting the admission requirements. It is also the applicant's responsibility to re-apply for the Master's program after being admitted in the 'non-degree status' and submit a copy of the renewed license along with the appropriate application materials to be readmitted as a 'degree-seeking' student.

KENTUCKY EDUCATORS--ATTENTION!!! Educators licensed in Kentucky must submit official transcripts for license renewal and/or rank change applications. BE ADVISED that official IU Southeast transcripts are not available immediately after coursework is completed. Transcripts with grades (but not degree postings) are usually available about one week after the end of each term (Fall, Spring, Summer 1, and Summer 2). (While Intensive 2 courses are finished in late July, grades will not be posted until mid-August, after the end of Summer 2.) Degrees are awarded three times a year: 5/31, 8/31, and 12/31; degrees are posted to official transcripts on or about 15 days later. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that renewal coursework and license applications are completed in a timely manner, allowing time for obtaining necessary official transcripts.

Completed applications to the MS Program are reviewed on the following dates: October 1, March 1, June 1, and August 1.

  1. Attend a mandatory program advising session. Dates may be found here…link to calendar?
  2. Complete online application. A $40 application fee is assessed when applying to program. If a previous application fee was paid the fee should be waived. To determine if fee is to be waived, contact our Record Specialist.

    Mary Ann Wild
    Record Specialist
    Phone: (812) 941-2388

  3. Upload your Personal Statement Block to the online application.
  4. Complete the Goals and Summative Evaluation of Dispositions Survey
  5. Submit official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work completed at institutions other than an IU school. A 2.5 GPA for all undergraduate course work, 3.0 GPA for all graduate course work.
  6. Submit copy of current teaching license or state of eligibility. (Emergency license not acceptable.)

    Please send all completed materials to:

    IU Southeast School of Education
    Mary Ann Wild, Record Specialist
    Hillside Hall 0024
    4201 Grant Line Road
    New Albany, IN 47150
Coming Soon!

All graduate students should contact the Office of Financial Aid for information on scholarships and grants. At the time of this Bulletin’s publication, students must be in a degree program or a teacher-licensing program to qualify for financial aid and be enrolled at least half-time (4 credits). Non-degree objectives (such as educational leadership) do not qualify. Anyone seeking financial aid should check with the Office of Financial Aid