SCHOOL CODE:  001817

STEP 4: Maintaining Eligibility

  1. Satisfactory Academic Progress

    Federal regulations require that Indiana University Southeast establish a policy to monitor the academic progress of students who apply for and/or receive federal, state, and institutional financial assistance. A student must be admitted to the university and enrolled in a degree-seeking program to be eligible for financial assistance. Only credit courses that count towards a degree-seeking program are included for determining aid eligibility. (A student can receive aid for a limited amount of remedial coursework that is included as part of a regular program.) For information specific to our policy for your status (i.e. A.S., B.S., M.A.) please refer to the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy or come by the Office of Financial Aid.

Your progress will be monitored.

Your progress at IU Southeast will be checked once per academic year during the qualification process.

Know your responsibilities.

Recipients of federal financial assistance are expected to attend classes throughout the term. Repayment of federal aid already received may be required if it is determined you have stopped attending classes and did not officially withdraw. Eligibility for subsequent academic terms may also be cancelled.

You will be notified.

If you fail to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress, an email will be sent to your University email address concerning your SAP status. Your financial aid will be suspended until you have completed the process below.

You are encouraged to appeal extenuating circumstances.

Students who fail to meet these standards and have mitigating circumstances may appeal to the Office of Financial Aid by completing the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal process found on the Appealing Eligibility section of our website. Our Appeal Committee reviews each appeal to determine student eligibility for continued financial aid.

Repeated Coursework

Per federal regulations, repeated coursework that falls under the following conditions cannot be included in a student's enrollment status for Title IV Federal Aid eligibility, including the Federal Pell Grant and Federal Stafford Loans.

Effective with the Fall 2012 semester state aid, including 21st Century Scholars program, will also abide by these same rules.

  • Repeating a previously passed course more than once. A course is considered passed if the student receives a grade of D- or better.

Repeating a previously passed course due to failing other coursework.


  • Repeated enrollment that is not aid eligible will be excluded from the student's enrollment status for the semester.

Federal Title IV aid will be recalculated based on the student's adjusted enrollment status.

This recalculation will be applied regardless of whether a student received aid for previous course enrollments.

Some courses are repeatable per university policy and are not restricted by these regulations. Students will be notified if they are receiving Title IV aid and enrolled in non-repeatable coursework for a term.

Waitlisted courses do not count toward official enrollment status for financial aid purposes.

Example 1
A student is repeating a previously passed 3-credit-hour course for the second time. The student is enrolled in a total of 12 credit hours for the term. Per federal regulations, the repeated course must be excluded from the student's Title IV enrollment status. Only 9 of the student's 12 hours can be used to calculate his Title IV aid eligibility. The student's Federal Pell Grant will be reduced to reflect three-quarter-time instead of full-time enrollment.

Example 2
A student enrolls in four classes in the fall semester and passes only three of them; the institution requires the student to retake the failed class and also the other three classes because of failing the one class. When the student repeats all four classes in the spring semester, the failed class would be included in the student's enrollment status, but the three classes passed would not be. This less-than-half-time enrollment status would cause the Federal Pell Grant to be recalculated and any Federal Stafford Loans to be cancelled for the term.

Unusual Enrollment History

Effective with the 2013-2014 school year, the U.S. Department of Education has established new regulations to prevent fraud and abuse in the Federal Pell Grant Program by identifying students with unusual enrollment histories. Some students who have an unusual enrollment history have legitimate reasons for their enrollment at multiple institutions. However, such an enrollment history requires a review to determine whether there are valid reasons for the unusual enrollment history. This must be resolved before the student can receive financial aid.
For students flagged by the U.S. Department of Education as having an unusual enrollment history, the IU Southeast Financial Aid Office will perform the following academic record review: 

  • Review student’s National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) account to determine all institutions in the past three years at which the student received Federal Pell Grants. 

Review our records to determine if we have transcripts/transfer credit from those schools.

  • If we do not have transcripts for all schools in the review, the student will be contacted and will be required to submit official transcripts from the missing schools.

Review transcripts/transfer credit for academic progress at each institution. 

The review will determine:

  1. If the student received credit at all institutions the student attended in the past three year where the student received Federal Pell Grants. 
    • If the student received credit and there is no questionable enrollment activity, we will clear the flag and the student will be eligible to receive financial aid (assuming student meets all other financial aid criteria).
  2. If the student did not receive credit or there is questionable enrollment activity, the student will not be able to receive financial aid.
    • Appeals
    • Denied Appeals
      • If the student is denied an appeal, he will not be eligible to receive aid until a record of satisfactory academic progress is established.  The appeal denial will provide information as to what is required.

Change of Status

Students must notify the Office of Financial Aid if they receive any additional financial assistance after filing an application. Any change in the student's or the family's financial position should also be reported. In addition, students who have been granted assistance are responsible for notifying the Office of Financial Aid of any change in academic program, residence, telephone number, or marital status. Failure to carry out any of these responsibilities may result in cancellation of the student's award.


The Department of Education requires us to inform you of your responsibility to repay your Stafford loans through a process called 'Exit Counseling.' Please follow the link to perform your exit counseling if you are leaving IU Southeast to transfer to another school or are graduating. Congratulations on your new degree and good luck in your future endeavors!

  1. Begin Exit Counseling for Stafford Loans
  2. Begin Exit Counseling for Perkins Loans

Officially Withdrawing & Return of Title IV

Unofficial vs. Official Withdrawals from the University

If you decide to leave the university, you must follow the official withdrawal process. Details on this procedure are published in the Schedule of Classes or are available from the Office of the Registrar . If a problem prevents you from withdrawing in person, you should contact the Office of the Registrar for procedures to drop by phone (812-941-2240).

If you simply cease to attend your classes but do not officially withdraw, you will be considered to have "unofficially withdrawn" for financial aid purposes. Per federal regulation, your financial aid eligibility will be based on your last documented date of attendance. If no documentation of attendance exists, you will be considered to have never attended. Students who unofficially withdraw may be billed in accordance with federal regulations despite the fact that an "F" grade will appear on your transcript.

Withdrawing or ceasing to attend Class

In accordance with federal regulations, students who withdraw from the university before the end of the semester may be required to repay federal or state financial aid funds received for use during that semester. The amount of the repayment depends upon the point in the semester at which the student withdraws. Students who cease to attend but fail to withdraw may also be subject to repayment of financial aid. Contact the Office of Financial Aid for further information.

Switching classes and partial withdrawal

If you are switching classes, try to do this during the first week of the semester. Dropping after this date will show as a withdrawal and count against your "Satisfactory Academic Progress". Even if you do not withdraw from all of your classes, all class drops after the first week are recorded as a "Withdrawal".

Students considering a complete or partial withdrawal from classes at IU Southeast should review the following information:

  1. Fee Refund Schedule and Process (Bursar)
  2. The following Repayment section which includes the Return of Title IV Funds policy.


Repayment of Financial Aid Due to Withdrawal from Classes, Reduced Enrollment, or Failure to Attend Classes

If you withdraw from all classes after the semester or session begins and you have received money from a federal aid program, federal regulations require that part of the money you received be given back to the federal aid program.

Schools are required to complete a Return of Title IV funds calculation as soon as possible but no later than 45 days after the date the school determined the student withdrew. If a recipient of Title IV grant or loan funds withdraws from a school after beginning attendance, the amount of Title IV grant or loan assistance earned by the student must be determined. If the amount disbursed to the student is greater than the amount the student earned, unearned funds must be returned. If the amount disbursed to the student is less than the amount the student earned, and for which the student is otherwise eligible, he or she is eligible to receive a Post-withdrawal dis­bursement of the earned aid that was not received.  If you have not attended more than 60% of the semester or session, a percentage of your federal aid must be returned to the appropriate federal aid program(s).  Funds are returned in the following order:

  •  Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan
  •  Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan
  •  Federal Perkins Loan
  •  Direct Grad PLUS Loan
  •  Direct PLUS Loan
  •  Federal Pell Grant
  •  Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  •  TEACH Grant
  •  Iraq & Afghanistan Service Grant

When you withdraw from all classes, your tuition and fees for the semester or session will be adjusted according to IU Southeast Fee Refund Policy (please see the Schedule of Classes for details). Then, if you received money from one or more of the federal aid programs, the IU Southeast Office of Student Financial Aid will calculate the amount of money that has to be returned to the federal aid program(s), based upon how much of the semester or session you attended.

  1. The Office of Financial Aid will return a portion of the federal aid money used to pay institutional charges on your account (tuition, fees, and University housing). Sometimes this will leave some IU charges unpaid, and you will be billed for this amount.

If you received federal aid money directly (as a refund check, for example) to be used for educational expenses that IU Southeast doesn’t bill you for, you may also have to return some portion of this money. The amounts will appear on your bursar bill in about 30 days after your withdrawal date, so that all IU charges and charge adjustments can be recorded.

You might be classified as an "unofficial withdrawal" if you receive all F grades or all F's and W's at the end of a semester or session. The latest last date of attendance recorded by your instructors will be used to calculate the amount of federal aid money that needs to be repaid. If you do not satisfactorily complete all coursework, you may also have future aid eligibility suspended. Please refer to the Satisfactory Academic Progress - Appeal Process.

Please view the Return of Title IV Funds Policy for more information.

Examples of Refund and Return of Title IV Funds Calculations
Esme's Story

Esme was registered for 12 credit hours and started classes on August 24th for the fall semester. She has an EFC of 0 and received an award package for fall that included a $2675 Pell grant and she also accepted a subsidized loan for $988. Esme completely withdrew on September 25th and therefore only completed 31% of the semester. After the Return to Title IV calculation was performed, $683.23 of her Pell Grant and the entire amount of her subsidized loans was returned.

Rosie's Story

Rosie was registered for 6 credit hours and started classes on August 24th. She has an EFC of $5329 and received an award package that included $1750 in a subsidized loan and $1000 in an unsubsidized loan. Rosie completely withdrew from her classes on August 31st. Because she only completed 8% of the semester, some of the awards that she already received had to be returned. After the Return to Title IV calculation was performed, $995 of her unsubsidized loan and $115.35 of her subsidized loan were returned to the lender.

Taylor's Story

Taylor was enrolled in 6 credit hours and started classes on August 24th. He has an EFC of 0 and received an award package that included a $1338 Pell grant, a $250 SEOG grant and a $750 Perkins loan. Taylor completely withdrew from all of his classes on October 9th and only completed 45% of the semester. Upon completing the Return to Title IV calculation $591.49 of his Perkins loan was returned to the lender.

Return of State Funds

  1. The State Student Assistance Commission (SSACI) return of funds period applies to all student financial aid administered by SSACI.
  2. State grants are awarded to eligible students based on the assumption that they will attend full-time each semester. If you are enrolled less than full-time, you cannot receive any of the listed state grants: Higher Education, Academic Honors, Core 40, 21st Century Scholars. If you drop classes or withdraw from school, your state grant can be reduced or cancelled, even after the grant has been credited to your bursar account.
  3. The measure of whether or not you are enrolled full-time is taken at the end of the SSACI census period, the end of the 4th week of classes for an individual semester. If you drop classes and are enrolled less than full-time or withdraw completely before the end of the SSACI census period, you are ineligible to receive any of the listed state grants. You must be full-time at the end of the SSACI census period (the end of the 4th week of classes for an individual semester).
  4. There are two general cases in which all or a portion of an offered award might have to be returned to SSACI:
  5. Case 1. A student completely withdraws during the SSACI census period.
  6. Case 2. A student stays enrolled but drops below full-time during the SSACI census period ("withdraws from a class").

Federal Student Financial Aid Penalties for Drug Law Convictions

Generally, if you have been convicted for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid, you will be ineligible for a period of time based on the type and number of convictions. If you answer "Yes" to having a conviction, it is very important that you complete and submit the FAFSA to determine your eligibility.

  1. If you are submitting a paper FAFSA, you will be mailed a worksheet to assist you in determining whether your conviction affects your eligibility for federal student aid.
  2. If you are applying using FAFSA on the Web please use the electronic version of the same worksheet during your online session.
  3. If you need assistance or have any questions on how to answer this question, call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) for help from the Federal Student Aid Information Center.

    Even if you're ineligible for federal student aid because of a drug conviction, you should still complete the FAFSA because most schools and states use FAFSA information to award nonfederal aid.

Continue to Step 5