Students must complete one course from each of the 4 areas (12-13 credit hours): Language, Culture, History & Philosophy, and Politics & Geography. Student choose one additional course from one of the 4 areas or may complete a Study Abroad in Europe for a minimum of 3 credit hours. Study Abroad in Europe is strongly recommended.
No more than two courses below the 200-level will count toward the certificate.
All courses listed below are 3 credit hours and require a grade of C- or better unless noted otherwise.
Students will take 1 language course in French, German, or Spanish. Specific course will depend on student performance on a placement test.
- FREN-F or GER-G or SPAN-S (3-4 credit hours)
Culture (choose one course)
- ENG-L 297 - English Literature to 1600
- ENG-L 298 - English Literature from 1600 to 1800
- ENG-L 299 - English Literature Since 1800
- ENG-L 303 - Medieval English Literature in Translation
- ENG-L 309 - Elizabethan Poetry
- ENG-L 313 - Early Plays of Shakespeare
- ENG-L 314 - Late Plays of Shakespeare
- ENG-L 365 - Continental Drama
- FINA-A 101 - Ancient and Medieval Art
- FINA-A 102 - Renaissance through Modern Art
- FREN-F 300 - Lectures Et Analyses Litteraires
- FREN-F 363 - Introduction a la France moderne
- FREN-F 461 - La France contemporaine
- FREN-F 475 - Advanced Oral Practice 1
- FREN-F 495 - Individual Readings in French
- GER-G 362 - Introduction to Contemporary Germany
- GER-G 363 - Introduction to German Cultural History
- GER-G 415 - Perspectives on German Literature
- GER-G 418 - German Film and Popular Culture
- GER-G 464 - German culture and Society
- SPAN-S 275* - Hispanic Culture and Conversation
- SPAN-S 291* - Hispanic Literature and Civilization
- SPAN-S 301* - The Hispanic World 1
- SPAN-S 302* - The Hispanic World 2
- SPAN-S 303* - The Hispanic World
- SPAN-S 363* - Introduction to Hispanic Culture
- SPAN-S 407 - Survey of Spanish Literature I
- SPAN-S 408 - Survey of Spanish Literature II
- SPAN-S 411 - Spain: The Cultural Context
- SPAN-S 494* - Individual Readings in Hispanic Studies
History & Philosophy (choose one course)
- HIST-H 103 - Europe: Renaissance to Napoleon
- HIST-H 104 - Europe: Napoleon to the Present
- HIST-B 323 - History of Holocaust
- HIST-B 361 - Europe in the 20th Century I
- HIST-B 362 - Europe in the 20th Century II
- PHIL-P 302 - Medieval Philosophy
- PHIL-P 304 - Nineteenth-Century Philosophy
- PHIL-P 314 - Modern Philosophy
- PHIL-P 410 - Ancient Greek Philosophy
- REL-R 152 - Jews, Christians, & Muslims
- REL-R 327 - Christianity, 50-450
Politics & Geography (choose one course)
- POLS-Y 335 - West European Politics
- POLS-Y 349 - Comparative Public Policy
- POLS-Y 350 - Politics of the European Union
- POLS-Y 354 - Nationalism in Europe
- GEOG-G 418 - Historical Geography
Choose one additional course from any area listed above or complete a Study Abroad in Europe. Study Abroad in Europe is strongly encouraged.
* Denotes courses that are subject to departmental approval.
Please note that other appropriate courses may be offered and substituted subject to approval.