Students must complete one course from each of the 4 areas (12-13 credit hours): Language, Culture, History & Philosophy, and Politics & Geography. Student choose one additional course from one of the 4 areas or may complete a Study Abroad in Europe for a minimum of 3 credit hours. Study Abroad in Europe is strongly recommended.
No more than two courses below the 200-level will count toward the certificate.
All courses listed below are 3 credit hours and require a grade of C- or better unless noted otherwise.
Students will take 1 language course in French, German, or Spanish. Specific course will depend on student performance on a placement test.
- FREN-F or GER-G or SPAN-S (3-4 credit hours)
Culture (choose one course)
- ENG-L 101 - Western World Masterpieces I
- ENG-L 102 - Western World Masterpieces II
- FINA-A 102 - Renaissance through Modern Art
- FINA-A 315 - Art of the Ancient World
- FINA-A 322 - Romanesque and Gothic Arts
- FREN-F 363 - Introduction a la France moderne
- FREN-F 461 - La France contemporaine
- GER-G 363 - Introduction to German Cultural History
- GER-G 415 - Perspectives on German Literature
- GER-G 418 - German Film and Popular Culture
- GER-G 464 - German culture and Society
- HUMA-U 101 - Introduction to the Humanities
- HUMA-U 102 - Introduction to Modern Humanities
- SPAN-S 407 - Survey of Spanish Literature I
- SPAN-S 408 - Survey of Spanish Literature II
- SPAN-S 411 - Spain: The Cultural Context
History & Philosophy (choose one course)
- HIST-H 103 - Europe: Renaissance to Napoleon
- HIST-H 104 - Europe: Napoleon to the Present
- HIST-H 206 - Medieval Civilization
- HIST-B 312 - History of the European City in the Modern Era
- HIST-D 310 - Russian Revolutions and the Soviet Regime
- HIST-D 330 - Eastern Europe 1944-Present
- PHIL-P 304 - Nineteenth-Century Philosophy
- REL-R 152 - Jews, Christians, & Muslims
Politics & Geography (choose one course)
- POLS-Y 335 - West European Politics
- POLS-Y 349 - Comparative Public Policy
- POLS-Y 350 - Politics of the European Union
- POLS-Y 354 - Nationalism in Europe
- GEOG-G 418 - Historical Geography
Choose one additional course from any area listed above or complete a Study Abroad in Europe. Study Abroad in Europe is strongly encouraged.
Please note that other appropriate courses may be offered and substituted subject to approval.