Students must complete one course from each of the 4 areas (12-13 credit hours):
- History and Philosophy
- Politics and Geography
Students choose one additional course from one of the 4 areas or may complete a Study Abroad in Latin America for a minimum of 3 credit hours. Study Abroad in Latin America is strongly recommended.
*No more than two courses below the 200-level will count toward the certificate.
All courses are 3 credit hours and require a grade of C- or better unless otherwise noted.
Items marked with an * are subject to departmental approval.
- SPAN-S - Students will take one 3-4 credit hours language course in Spanish. The specific course will depend on student performance on a placement test.
- FINA-A 150 - Africa, New World, & Oceanic Art
- SPAN-S 275* - Hispanic Culture and Conversation
- SPAN-S 291* - Hispanic Literature and Civilization
- SPAN-S 301* - The Hispanic World I
- SPAN-S 302* - The Hispanic World II
- SPAN-S 303* - The Hispanic World
- SPAN-S 363* - Introduccion a la Cultura Hispanica
- SPAN-S 412 - Spanish America: The Cultural Context
- SPAN-S 471 - Survey of Spanish American Literature I
- SPAN-S 472 - Survey of Spanish American Literature II
- SPAN-S 494* - Individual Readings in the Hispanic Studies
History & Philosophy
- HIST-F 100 - Issues in Latin American History: Introduction
- HIST-F 216/416 - History of Slavery in the Americas
- HIST-F 232 - Upheaval in 20th-Century Latin America
- HIST-F 341 - Latin America: Conquest and Empire
- HIST-F 342 - Latin America: Evolution and Revolution
- HIST-F 350 - The Environment in Latin American History
- HITS-F 360 - Natural Disasters in Latin American History
- HIST-H 231* - Women, Men, and Family in History
Politics & Geography
- POLS-Y 337 - Latin American Politics
- GEOG-G 323 - Geography of Latin America
Choose one additional 3 credit hours course from any area listed above or complete a Study Abroad. Study Abroad in Latin America is strongly encouraged.
*Please note that other appropriate courses may be offered and substituted subject to approval.