Distinguished Service Awards
Nominations for 2021 Distinguished Service Awards
I seek your help in identifying and rewarding distinguished service to Indiana University Southeast. These awards are an important way by which the University can recognize and encourage outstanding performance by its members in three areas: Clerical, Professional/Technical, Service/Maintenance.
Distinguished Service Awards will be presented at the State of the Campus meeting at the beginning of the Fall Semester.
To select the recipient in each category, selection criteria have been established and a selection committee has been named. I now ask everyone in the campus community to consider nominating the person you believe is most deserving of the award in each category.
Nominations must be submitted by April 19, 2021.
Thank you for taking the time to be involved in this important endeavor.
2020 Award Winners
Professional / Technical
Service / Maintenance
Distinguished Services Award Nominee and Award Recipient Information
The following criteria constitute the basis for nominations and for committee recommendations for recipients for the awards:
- Job performance
- Individual initiative: performance above and beyond the normal expectations of the position.
- Extraordinary assignments: performance relating to extra assignments by a supervisor.
- Exemplary conduct of normal duties (e.g., attendance, dependability, punctuality, etc.).
- Personal attitude which is positive and professional in all contacts with others; and which represents the university in the best possible way.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of IU Southeast, as reflected by service and responsiveness which is above and beyond what is expected in job performance and evidence of loyalty to IU Southeast.
- At least three (3) years of employment (appointed) at IU Southeast as of the date of nomination request letter from Chancellor’s office.
- Prior years’ recipients shall not be eligible for the same award unless the award was granted over ten (10) years ago.
Review Committee Composition
- A committee shall be appointed by the Chancellor to review nominations for the awards and recommend confidentially to the Chancellor recipients in each staff category (i.e., PA/TE, CL, LE, and SM).
- The committee shall include nine (9) members, selected by the Chancellor
- (3) The most recent award recipients in each of the three categories
- (2) Two representatives of the Staff Council
- (1) One Professional staff member
- (1) One Bi-weekly staff member
- (2) Two students selected from nominees submitted by the SGA president
- (2) Two at-large members, from within the above groups or from other previous recipients.
- The Chancellor shall appoint the committee chairperson.
- The committee shall include at least one member from the previous year’s committee.
Instructions to the Committee
- The committee shall follow procedures and criteria as outlined in this document. However, if no candidates judged meet the criteria in a particular category, the committee shall not recommend a recipient in that category.
- All proceedings of this committee must be kept strictly confidential.
- The Chancellor shall review the recommendations of the committee and select and announce the award recipients at an appropriate time.
The following procedures are recommended for receiving and reviewing nominations:
- The Chancellor shall solicit nominations and receive them through the Chancellor’s office. Any IU Southeast faculty member, staff member, or student may submit nominations.
- A nomination shall address the above criteria and be submitted through a web form distributed through a nomination solicitation email from the Chancellor’s office to the campus community.
- The Chancellor’s office will secure from the Human Resources Department a copy of the job description of each nominee.
- The names of the nominees will be submitted by the Chancellor’s office confidentially to the Human Resources Director, who will then notify the Chancellor’s Office of any pending or relevant adverse personnel action(s) and confirm that the nominees have a minimum of three (3) years’ appointed employment with IU Southeast.
- The Chancellor’s office will then notify each nominee’s supervisor and solicit a one-page letter of support from the supervisor, specifically addressing the selection criteria. If there is more than one nominee from a supervisor’s area, the supervisor will be asked to rank the nominees. This ranking is to be considered as the only advisory to the committee.
- The Chancellor’s office shall convene the committee and provide the nominations and letters of support to the committee chair.
- The committee shall review each nomination according to the selected criteria, following an impartial process set forth by the Chancellor, and recommend recipients, if applicable, in each of the three categories in a confidential manner to the Chancellor.
- The Chancellor will review and approve the selection of the recipients and make an announcement at an appropriate time.
- Recipients must choose an award of an IU Southeast captain’s chair or a one-time monetary award of $500.
Nominations must be submitted by April 19, 2021.
Past Award Winners
|2019||Kirk Randolph||Mary Ann Wild||Beth Hogan|
|2018||Julie Ingram||Mary Patterson||Lesa Dean|
|2017||Michael Turley||Kim Shaughnessy||Bettie Ricketts|
|2016||Kim Pelle||Amanda Dailey-Weaver||Sean Engleman|
|2015||Melissa D. Hill||Christine Thompson||James M. Curd|
|2014||Earl Toepfert||Bridgette Adams||Mark O’Connell|
|2013||Ashley McKay||Jennifer Hershfield||Rick Bozynski|
|2012||Steven Clark||Angie Clark||Stephen Miller|
|2011||Gregory Roberts||Cari Edwards||David Kaiser|
|2010||Lynn Prinz||Trudy Walter||Monica Wise|
|2009||Jodie Beatty||Leslie Turner||Loretta Seals|
|2008||Tom Prinz||Donna Harvey||Rick D. Moon|
|2007||Kathy Corbean||Sherry Pfeiffer||Ruben Borrego|
|2006||M. Jo Hatfield||Linda Williams||Karyn Webb|
|2005||Brittany J. Hubbard||Sharon P. Burke||Dennis O. Simon|
|2004||Michael Kerstiens||Teresa A. Andrews||Elizabeth J. Hogan|
|2003||Samuel C. Asberry||Alicia L. Stanley||Pearline S. Molet|
|2002||Kim D. Pelle||Jon C. Norman||-|
|2001||Juanita Schickel||Mary Ann Braden||John Brendle|
|2000||Thomas Prebys||Dodie Swords-Simms||Arlie Dixon|
|1999||Pat DeWees||Lesley Deal||Kim Draughn|
|1998||Kirk W. Klaphaak||Elizabeth McMahan||Mark E. Kessinger|
|1997||Keith T. Cornille||Wesley A. Rose||Gerald L. Clemons|
|1996||Frieda Thoms||Brigette Colligan||Rick D. Moon|
|1995||Martha A. Lizenby||Juli E. Crecelius||Janice D. Moore|
|1994||Mary G. Wilson||Betty Omicinski||Robert Shingleton|
|1993||Carol Bauer||Cathy Denton||Earl Copple|
|1992||Pat Ramsey||Pam Asberry||Betty Paris|
|1991||Laura M. McGuirk||Wayne Brown||Donald Glen Craig|
|1990||-||Edward Roberts||Raymond J. Richmer|
|1989||-||Rita J. McCartin||William Sheckell|
|1988||Vaughn E. Winslow||Terry Hoffmeister||B. Scott Goodwin|
|1987||Carolyn L. Kraft||Jean A. Pepper||Larry Waldkoetter|
|1985||James A. Kanning||Cynthia McGuffey||Christopher Smith|
|1984||Tony R. Warner||Linda K. Skelton||Carolyn J. Dunn|
|1983||Robert A. Lentz||R. Maxine Merk||Calvin Jennings|
|1982||Ray F. Wisman||June V. Byrne||Barbara J. Cocke|
|1981||James F. Morris||Geraldine Conlon||Carl O. Davis|
|1980||Thomas C. Mitchell||Larry R. Jackson||Herschel L. Briscoe|
|1979||David L. Robbins||June C. Hart||William Shrewsberry|
|1978||Wayne E. Shirk||Ruth E. Powell||David R. Kaiser|
|1977||Norma Goodwin||Frieda M. Thoms||Walter Gunther|
|1976||Peggy Lyndrup||Paula Sylvester||R. D. Owens|