Student Commencement Speaker Opportunity
You can apply to be the voice of your graduating class. One student speaker will address all attendees at the IU Southeast commencement ceremony. Student speakers should have a successful academic record with a minimum 3.0 GPA and a history of participating in campus and community activities. A selection committee will review applications, interview candidates (if needed) and determine the final selection to recommend to the Chancellor.
The selected speaker will give a 3-5 minute speech (approximately 500 words). Once the student speaker is chosen, IU Southeast will provide assistance with speech development and editing.
- Must be a member of the graduating class he/she plans to address
- Available to speak at Commencement
- Unblemished citizenship/conduct record
- Consistent academic excellence in 60 credit hours of enrollment at IU & affiliates
- Current Cumulative GPA must be a minimum of 3.0
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- No outstanding bursar fees owed
- Positive role model
- Competent in public speaking
- Exceptional oratorical skills
- Positive attitude and enthusiasm
Required Items to complete the form submission
- Essay/Speech submission
- The proposed essay/speech must be an original work.
- Essay/speech should avoid political or religious overtones.
- The proposed essay/speech should contain 300-450 words.
- The proposed essay/speech should be attention-grabbing, personally meaningful, thought-provoking, and engaging to fellow graduates. It should focus on the graduate’s unique spirit and experiences as a student at IU Southeast.
- Letter of Support from faculty or staff member