IU Southeast FACET Annual Events
20th Annual FACET Spring Symposium
Date: Friday, January 29, 2016
Location: IU Southeast, Hoosier West
Time: 8:30 - 9 a.m. Registration and Continental Breakfast
Topic: Building Bonds - Increasing Student Communication, Integration and Engagement
9 - 10:15 a.m. - Keynote Speaker: Dr. Andrew D. Gavrin, Engaging Students with Technology
Technology has been portrayed as an angel that can save all of education, and as a demon that destroys student learning and faculty time. I consider the former to be unlikely. The latter outcomes are possible, but also easily avoided. How are faculty members to decide whether to adopt a technological solution to a problem in our classes? We will explore this question, and consider general principles for identifying useful technologies.
Dr. Gavrin is an Associate Professor of Physics and Chair of the Department of Physics at IUPUI in Indianapolis (as well as a noted author and multiple honoree on the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning).
Breakout session led by Dr. Andrew Gavrin, Dr. Michael Hutchins, Dr. Megan Kahn, Dr. David Taylor, & Renée Petrina.
March 2 - Presenter Leigh Ann Meyer
March 14 - Presenter Erich Stem
May 15 - 17
Pokagon State Park, Potowatomi Inn.
Click HERE for more information on this year's Retreat.
FACET Application Deadline is October 17, 2014. You can find more details at the FACET Statewide Site.
Please check back for additional events.
Your FACET campus liaisons can provide additional information about any of the above events.
Peer Review and Teaching Consultants
Peer review is a process, not just an event. The Peer Review Manual, developed for IUS Peer Review, provides information about the process of reviewing classes at IUS, conducting a student focus group, how to write a Peer Review report, and much more. View the current peer review manual. We strongly recommend junior faculty review the suggested peer review timeline.
Faculty Requesting Peer Review:
- Access the Peer Review Request form and submit to ILTE
Current Peer Review Faculty
- Update your Consultant Information sheet and submit to ILTE
FACET welcomes new members each year via a process of nomination, application, and selection.
FACET seeks to identify faculty who have:
- A record of and ongoing dedication to excellence in teaching, support of student learning, and assistance to colleagues
- A commitment to their own continuing growth through reflection
- The willingness to advocate for the importance of teaching and learning—locally, regionally, and/or nationally
- Advanced the craft of teaching through efforts in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Demonstrated a commitment to continued involvement in teaching activities, specifically FACET programming