There are 17 Building Services staff who work on 2 different shifts: 1st shift is 5:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. and the 2nd shift is
3 – 12 p.m. Main areas of responsibility include: all entrances & doorways, classrooms, cleaning and disinfecting restrooms (restrooms are checked once every hour), flooring, walls, and ceilings.
These duties include (but not limited to):
- Cleaning and maintaining entrances, lobbies, and corridors.
- Empty waste and recycling receptacles, remove debris and litter.
- Vacuum carpet areas and mats, dust and wet mop hard surface flooring, remove soil spots.
- Disinfect drinking fountains, restroom fixtures, and door handles.
- Clean windows, entrance doors glass, mirrors, etc.
- Clean marker boards, chalk boards and chalk trays.
- Dust and clean classroom desks, tables, and seating area furniture.
Spills are also handled by the custodians and should be reported as quickly as possible. Blood and other bodily fluids will be cleaned in accordance with universal precautions. Spills of hazardous materials, or chemicals and general disposal of hazardous waste are the responsibility of the University Police at (812) 941-2400.
Emergency cleaning situations should be phoned in to Facility Operations at (812) 941-2330, but all other requests must be received in writing. For emergency situations after normal business hours contact University Police at (812) 941-2400.