Frequently Asked Questions

General Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for federal aid?

You may complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at

Can I receive aid for all my classes?

Students may only receive aid for courses that count toward their degree. They may also only receive aid for repeating a course once after initially passing it.

Do I have to enroll full-time to receive loans?

No, students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours for undergraduates, 4 hours for graduates) to be loan-eligible.

Special Circumstances Frequently Asked Questions

Why would I file a Special Circumstance Appeal?

When a student or parent has special circumstances that significantly change their available income for the current or coming year the financial aid office may be able to make additional allowances when income drops because of job loss or reduction in pay, returning to school, marital status changing from married to widowed, divorced or separated, a parent returns to college, or when certain expenses exceed the amount already allowed for in the federal financial aid formula. This may increase the student's eligibility for aid if the student does not already have a $0 EFC (Expected Family Contribution, as determined by the FAFSA).

If you have had extraordinary expenses in the areas of housing, food, transportation, educational expenses (including computer or instrument purchase), childcare or medical expenses, or if you have another unusual expense not listed here, contact the Financial Aid office to determine if you would benefit from filing an appeal.

What is the deadline?

Appeal and all required documentation must be submitted no later than October 1st. For students not enrolled in fall, the deadline is February 15th.

When will I hear the result?

Appeals will be reviewed by the Special Circumstances Appeals Committee and the student notified of the result within 30 days of submission. Adjustments requiring a FAFSA correction must be approved by the U.S. Department of Education before aid can be adjusted. Students can view their financial aid package at any time through One.IU's Financial Aid Information application. Appeals that will have no affect on aid will be closed without a ruling and the student will be notified.

SFA Frequently Asked Questions

What is the "SFA HEA" Frank O'Bannon award and what does it cover*?

This is a need-based state grant for full-time Indiana resident students. Apply by submitting the FAFSA each year by the Indiana deadline of 3/10. Students do not have to pay back this grant unless they drop below full-time (12 credit hours) before the state census date, usually 28 days into the semester. This award can only be used to pay a portion of tuition. Eligible students can receive up to 8 semesters of this award and should visit the SFA website each April and log in to "eStudent" to see if any FAFSA corrections are required. If so, corrections must be made by 5/15. As long as you file the FAFSA annually you do not have to use this award in 4 consecutive years. For more information visit the SFA website. Students also eligible for the 21st Century award will receive enough aid between the two awards to cover up to 15 credit hours of tuition per semester. This award is not available in the summer.

*Please note for 2017, the initial filing deadline has been extended to April 15th.

What is the "SFA 21st Century" award and what does it cover*?

This is a grant for full-time Indiana resident students who applied for and qualified during Junior High and signed the agreement in their senior year of high school (see your high school counselor or the 21st Century office in your area). Apply by submitting the FAFSA each year by the Indiana deadline of 3/10. This award will cover tuition, technology and activity fees for 12-15 credit hours only. This award will not cover housing or other fees such as parking, lab fees or the orientation fee. Students who have submitted the FAFSA and received this award are eligible for a waiver of the admission application fee and housing down payment fee.

Students do not have to pay back this grant unless they drop below full-time (12 credit hours) before the state census date, usually 28 days into the semester. This award can only be used to pay 12-15 credit hours of tuition. Eligible students can receive up to 8 semesters of this award and should visit the SFA website each April and log in to "eStudent" to see if any FAFSA corrections are required. If so, corrections must be made by 5/15. As long as you file the FAFSA annually you do not have to use this award in 4 consecutive years. For more information visit the SFA website. Students also eligible for the Frank O'Bannon award will receive enough aid between the two awards to cover 12 to 15 credit hours of tuition per semester. This award is not available in the summer.

*Please note for 2017, the initial filing deadline has been extended to April 15th.

What happens to my SFA award if I don't come to school full time?

You don't lose this award if you don't use it any given semester. You can still receive 8 total semesters of the award and they do not have to be consecutive or start right after high school, as long as you continue to file the FAFSA annually. If you start full-time and receive the award then drop below 12 credit hours before the 28th day of the semester you will lose the award for that semester and must pay it back to IU Southeast. Some students in fewer than 12 credit hours may be eligible for a Part Time SFA HEA award. These will be awarded about 6 weeks into the semester. However, these awards are not guaranteed.

Why did I receive less than the award amount on the SFA website?

SFA's award amount is what you would receive if you were taking 15 or more credit hours. The actual award will adjust based on the hours you are enrolled in and your actual cost of tuition, activity and technology fees combined.

I get a National Guard award but it isn't showing on my account, why is that?

You must certify this award with your commanding officer or National Guard administrator before every semester. We have to wait until this is done before we can post your award. This award only covers tuition and fees.

I qualify for this award but don't see it yet. Why not?

There could be several reasons:

  • Is our school code on the FAFSA? If not you can add it - log in at and follow the link under #3 to add or delete a school code. Our code is 001817. If you just recently added our school code it will take a couple of weeks for SSACI to determine your award and send the information to us.
  • Did you complete your verification paperwork, if required? If so, it will take a few weeks after all paperwork is submitted for this process to finish. Sometimes, if we had to make corrections that affected your eligibility, you may no longer qualify for this award or it may have been reduced. Check your One.IU Financial Aid Application To Do list and IU email weekly to be sure we don't need more information from you.
  • Are you required to submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress appeal? If so you must submit this appeal and be approved before your state aid can be awarded.
  • Are you enrolled in at least 12 hours? If you recently added classes to be full-time it will take us a week or two to correct your award.
  • If none of these apply give us a call.

The state's website says that IU Southeast must send information before I get my award. Why hasn't it been sent?

These are sent every Tuesday from IU Bloomington for our campus here at IU Southeast. As long as a student is admitted to IU Southeast the TUIT code will be sent and their aid posted within 2-3 weeks. If a student is not currently enrolled the TUIT code will be sent upon their acceptance to the university. This often happens if a student recently added our school code to the FAFSA or recently made us their school choice.

Do I have to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to get money from SFA?

Yes, and this includes 21st century, Frank O’Bannon, and National Guard. All students receiving aid from these programs must maintain a 2.0 GPA, complete and pass 67% of their classes and must be making accepted progress towards a degree. Our office will notify any student not meeting SAP. This is not applicable to Child of a Deceased/Disabled Veterans or Officers (CVO) benefits.

View Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (PDF)

CVO (Child of a Deceased or Disabled Veteran or Officer)

What is the CVO award?

Indiana students whose biological or adoptive parent(s) became disabled or died in the line of duty as military, police, fire, or EMT may be eligible for this state benefit if their parents are/were Indiana residents for at least 3 consecutive years. This award covers tuition, technology and activity fees up to 124 credit hours. Students apply through the Indiana Department of Veteran Affairs and must also annually complete the FAFSA. Students do NOT have to attend full-time.

Does a student need a CVO form for every school they go to?

Yes. If you are a student who received this benefit from another school you must complete a new Application for Remission of Fees for A Child of a Disabled Veteran or a POW/MIA if you transfer schools. These forms are available and certified through the Indiana Department of Veteran Affairs. The completed verified original must be turned in and kept by our office. In addition to this state form, students must also complete a FAFSA through the federal government. These forms are available on-line at or in our office if needed.

What does CVO cover?

Only tuition, technology and activity fees, so it does not cover lab fees or course related costs of any kind, housing or books. In addition, the CVO benefit should not be used with SFA HEA grants, as this essentially wastes a semester of your HEA eligibility.

How do I find out how much CVO I have left?

You may go to the SFA eStudent site at and register/log in to see your information. You will need your social security number and birth date to check the information.

What if I don't enroll for a full time class schedule?

The CVO award adjusts with enrollment and will cover your tuition regardless of enrollment. As a student, you may enroll in as many, or as few, credit hours as you would like.

I have CVO and the Frank O'Bannon and/or the 21st Century award. Why didn't I receive both?

Both awards come from the same source of funding and are designed to pay the same fees, so it’s not always advantageous to use both. The Frank O'Bannon and 21st Century awards are limited to Full-time students pursuing their first bachelor's degree so if you can use this award and save your CVO we recommend you do so; however there are times using both awards makes sense for a student. Contact our office for more information to help you with this decision.

What if I miss a year of school? Can I still keep my CVO?

Yes. There is no limit on when you must use your hours.

Can I use CVO in the summer?

Yes. However, you must submit the FAFSA for the upcoming year and be sure all verification is complete first.

Does CVO cover Graduate School?

CVO will cover a total of 124 credit hours and can be used for graduate school programs, but only at the undergraduate rate. You must cover the difference.

Summer Aid Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for summer financial aid?

If you already filed the current year's FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), we will automatically package you for summer aid so you know what you could receive if you attended full time. All you have to do is register for summer classes. We will automatically adjust your aid to match your enrollment. If you are going to take out student loans in summer you must accept your loans (reduce them if possible) through One.iu. There is no additional application for summer.

I didn't apply for aid in Fall nor Spring - can I get aid for summer?

Yes, you need to file this year's FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) using last year's tax returns and W2s. The FAFSA filing deadline is June 30. To receive Indiana state aid (SFA) you must also file next year's FAFSA. In both cases you must follow up and complete verification paperwork, if required, to receive financial aid.

Are there Summer Scholarships?

If we have additional funds after spring, summer scholarships may be available. An email notification will go out to your IU email account if you have an opportunity to receive a summer scholarship. You do not have to submit a scholarship application. Summer scholarships can only be used during the summer term and cannot carry over to the next academic year. A Free Application for Federal Student Aid is not required to receive a summer scholarship.

How will I know if I received summer aid?

We will package estimated summer aid beginning in late March and will be adjusted based on your actual enrollment in summer classes (both sessions combined). You will also be able to see your summer aid online through One.IU. Summer financial aid award notifications will be emailed in mid to late April.

How many hours do I need to take to qualify for Summer Aid?

To qualify for Summer Scholarships and Stafford Loan as an undergraduate you must be enrolled in at least 6 hours for the entire summer. (This can be 3 hours in Summer I and 3 hours in Summer II or it can be 6 hours in either session.) Graduate student must be enrolled in at least 4 hours for the entire summer. Pell Grants and Perkins loans require a minimum of 3 hours enrollment.

How do I know if I have remaining eligibility?

Summer eligibility is determined by the amount of aid you received during the academic year. If you attended less than fulltime in fall and spring you could have remaining Pell eligibility. Stafford loan eligibility is based on your class level and the corresponding annual and lifetime borrowing limits. Your estimated summer financial aid summary will include any remaining eligibility in grants or loans.**

**Please note, if your class standing changes, your total eligibility may increase. Notify us after spring grades post.




Amount Combination

Additional Unsubsidized

Independent Student


$3,500 + $2,000



$4,500 + $2,000



$5,500 + $2,000



$5,500 + $2,000





What if I don't have any remaining Stafford Loan eligibility?

Sometimes we have summer Perkins loan money available. Preference is given to students with the most need and the lowest EFC. If your aid package did not include a Perkins Loans, please call us at (812) 941-2246 or email us at and request a Perkins Loan for summer.

Verification Frequently Asked Questions

What is the FAFSA due date?

The FAFSA needs to be RECEIVED by the Department of Education by March 10th to be considered for state aid. The due date for each state is listed on the front of the FAFSA as well as on the web at

What is the last day to file the FAFSA?

The last day to file is June 30th of the current academic year. For example, the deadline for the 2011/2012 year is June 30, 2012.

When can I be considered an independent student?

This is determined by the questions in Section 2 of the FAFSA:

  • Will you be 24 before January 1?
  • At the beginning of the school year, will you be working on a master's or doctorate program (e.g., MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, graduate certificate)
  • As of today, are you married? (Answer "Yes" if you are separated but not divorced.)
  • Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you?
  • Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you during the school year (July 1 to June 30)?
  • At anytime since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care or were you a dependent or ward of the court?
  • Are you or were you an emancipated minor as determined by a court in your state of legal residence?
  • Are you or were you in legal guardianship as determined by a court in your state of legal residence?
  • At any time since this past July 1st were you an unaccompanied homeless youth as determined by your high school or school district homeless liaison?
  • At any time since this past July 1st, were you an unaccompanied homeless youth as determined by the director of an emergency shelter program funded by U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development?
  • Are you serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?

If you (the student) answer "No" to every question you will need your parent's information.

If you answered "Yes" to any question you can be considered independent. If you have an unusual circumstance preventing you from getting your parents' information or cooperation contact the financial aid office for advice. We will help you resolve the situation or determine if you qualify to submit a dependency appeal.

Do I need to fill out the FAFSA every year?


What is SFA and how do you apply?

Division of Student Financial Aid

How do you apply for SFA?

The FAFSA is the document necessary to apply for all types of state aid available.

Go to SFA FAQs

How do I let you know if I want a loan?

We no longer require separate loan applications for fall and spring semesters. Student loans will automatically be offered to all eligible students. You must complete the loan process to receive your loan, which includes signing the promissory note and completing entrance counseling. You must also accept your loans every year. You never have to accept all that you are offered.

What is the difference between subsidized and unsubsidized?

Subsidized: If you receive a subsidized Stafford loan to attend IU Southeast, the federal government pays the interest on your loan while you attend school at least half time.

Unsubsidized: If you receive an unsubsidized Stafford loan to attend IU Southeast you are responsible for paying the interest while you are in school. If you do not want to make the interest payment, the interest will be added to your principal balance through a process called capitalization.

Do I need to fill out the FAFSA to receive a student loan?

Yes, these are federal loans and they are a type of financial aid.

School code:


What is verification?

Your application has been selected by Central Processing for review.

The financial aid office will request:

  • Tax Return documents
  • Verification worksheets for review

Once these documents have been reviewed, we may need to request additional information or make necessary changes to your application.

Go to Qualifying For Aid page

Work-Study Frequently Asked Questions

Note: Most work-study questions are answered on the work-study page. If you don't find your answer here, check it out!

Is this award all that I can get?

Currently work-study amounts are set to generally support 10 hours per week of work. If you have questions about the amount you received, please contact our office at

Why didn't I get a work-study award?

There could be various reasons. Students who are eligible for Federal Work Study, and have selected that they are interested in Federal Work Study on the FAFSA, are offered an award. You may not have an award because you don't qualify. This is a need-based award, so your qualification depends on the information on your FAFSA. You may not have an award because you have received so many other awards you have no budget left for this award. We may still be able to give you an award by reducing your loan or increasing your budget if you qualify. When you ask for an award we automatically check these options and ask you what you prefer. If you do not have an award, and would like to be reviewed for work-study eligibility, please email us at

I had an award but now it's gone, or has been reduced. What happened?

Either we had to cancel or reduce it because you had more financial aid than your budget would allow (this happens sometimes after students drop classes) or we cancelled it because you did not accept your award and we have students waiting for those awards. We always send out a reminder via your IU e-mail before cancelling your award for non-acceptance. if your award was cancelled and now you want it back, just request a new work-study award. Also, once a student is hired, you will see the award description change and sometimes the amount increased. This is normal.

Do I have to claim my work-study earnings on my tax return?

Yes, and you'll receive a W-2 in January for your taxes, but when you fill out your FAFSA next year remember to report the amount you earned from this year's W-2 on the FAFSA's question regarding "Additional Financial Information - Taxable earnings from work-study . . ." so it won't count as an asset when your financial aid eligibility is calculated.

When can I work and how many hours?

Students with a work-study job generally can begin work about a week before the first day of fall semester and can work until about a week past finals in spring. Exact dates are at the top of the page. Students can work up to 20 hours per week when class is in session and up to 40 during breaks or in special circumstances, however, your award will probably only cover about 10 hours per week if you work all year. No overtime is allowed. Your award looks like it is split evenly between fall and spring semester, but if you are attending spring semester you don't have to worry about limiting your fall earnings to that amount. Just be sure your total earnings don't exceed your award by the last day you can work (dates are posted at the very top of this page). Use the award tracking sheet available in our Forms section (under "Workstudy").

My employer told me I couldn't study during my job!

That's right. This is a real job and you are expected to work, not study, surf, text or any other personal activity while you are on duty. Some employers give students permission to study if their job has down time while the student mans a desk or phone, but this is rare. "Work-Study" doesn't really mean you can study instead of work. Sorry!

What about summer work-study?

Federal summer work-study is not always available. When available, it is awarded first to continuing students enrolled in summer classes who already have a work-study job. Employers or students should notify Financial Aid that they want summer work study as soon as they finish registering for summer classes. IU Southeast has limited work-study funds, so summer work-study employment is not guaranteed.

My employer won't let me off to study and was mad when I took this morning off to do my project!

Students know usually at the beginning of the semester when their tests and projects are going to be due. If you want extra time off to prepare for a test or project do not wait until the day of or the day before to ask for time off and definitely do not just fail to show up for your job. You may find when you return that you have been fired! Your employer is counting on you, and your procrastination is no reason to expect them to give you time off. They are required to work around your class schedule only. Most employers can and will give you time off to study if you ask ahead, but don't plan on taking off whenever you want.

I want to change to a different work-study position. What do I do?

If you have already found another position on campus or at an authorized off-campus location, contact Financial Aid for the required forms. You cannot switch work-study jobs without prior authorization. Talk to your current employer about the change. Remember, this is a real job. Communication with your employer is very, very important.

Can I have more than one work-study job?

Yes, you can. If your first work-study employer cannot give you enough hours within the semester for you to earn all of your award, you can apply for a second job. Notify the Financial Aid office immediately if you are hired in a second job. You must split your award between both jobs and be sure you do not earn more than your award in either job.

I'm having trouble with my employer. What do I do?

If you have a problem with your employer try speaking with them directly. If you are not able to resolve the issue directly with them contact IU Southeast Human Resources for assistance.

Go to Workstudy page

Transferring Student Frequently Asked Questions

How do I transfer my Financial Aid?

See 'How do I update my FAFSA?'

How do I update my FAFSA?

Go to the FAFSA website, click 'Make Corrections to a Processed FAFSA' enter appropriate information until you are able to add the IU Southeast school code of ' 001817'. IU Southeast Financial Aid will receive your correction within 5-7 business days from the date you submitted your correction. Are you eligible for state aid? Be careful about making changes to your FAFSA after May 15th. Doing so may cause you to lose your Indiana SFA award. If you have changes to make we may be able to do it for you. Visit our office for help.

I'm transferring from/to another school. Do I need to transfer my loans?

NO. The loans processed at your previous school are now being monitored through the National Student Loan Database System (NSLDS). You are not able to have federal student loans at two different institutions at the same time. Contact your previous school's Financial Aid Office and cancel ALL upcoming aid (including loans) scheduled for disbursement. You should expect information on how to complete 'Exit Counseling' from your previous school. Notify us so we can be sure your loans here are correct.

Will my scholarship transfer? And will the amount be the same?

Scholarship eligibility is based on the type of scholarship awarded (private or institutional). In most cases, institutional based awards are not transferrable, whereas, private scholarships may be transferable. Please contact the donor of the scholarship and forward any information you may receive to the Director of Scholarships at IU Southeast. Please forward this link to any donors who may have questions about applying scholarships to your account.

Do I need to complete 'Exit Counseling' at my previous school?

YES. Your previous school should be contacting you via email or postal service to inform you of their 'Exit Counseling' process. Once complete, you should be able to do 'Entrance Counseling' at IU Southeast. Once IU Southeast Financial Aid Office has processed your aid, you should visit the Loan Entrance and MPN page step 3 to complete the process of accepting your new awards.

FAFSA Frequently Asked Questions

What is a FAFSA transaction?

Each time a FAFSA or a correction to a FAFSA is processed, a transaction number is created. For example, when your original FAFSA is processed, it will create Transaction 01. If you make a correction to your FAFSA, when the correction is processed it will create Transaction 02. The next correction processed will create Transaction 03, and so on.

What is a FSA ID?

The FSA ID allows students and parents to identify themselves electronically to access FSA Web sites. An FSA ID is made up of a username and password and can be used to log into FAFSA on the Web.

What is a Data Release Number (DRN)?

A Data Release Number (DRN) is a four-digit number assigned to your application by the U.S. Department of Education. It is printed on the lower left-hand corner of the paper Student Aid Report (SAR) and in the upper right-hand corner on the electronic SAR.

The DRN can be provided to a customer service representative to make certain changes to your FAFSA information. These changes include: permanent mailing address, e-mail address, phone number, school code and/or housing plan.

You should not give your DRN to anyone unless you want that person to have access to your FAFSA information.

What is the Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?

The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) measures your family's financial strength, and is used to determine your eligibility for federal student aid during one school year. Your EFC will be displayed on your Student Aid Report (SAR) after your FAFSA is processed.

The information you reported on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used to calculate your EFC. The school uses the EFC to determine your federal student aid eligibility and financial aid award.

Your EFC is not the amount that your family will have to pay for college nor is it the amount of federal student aid that you will receive. It is a number used by the school to calculate the amount that your family will be expected to pay for college and the amount of federal student aid you are eligible to receive.

What is a signature page?

The signature page is a document that is generated by FAFSA on the Web, Renewal FAFSA on the Web, or Corrections on the Web. It is personalized by containing your Student ID and address. Your ID is made of the type of application you completed, your Social Security Number, and the first two letters of your last name.

If you choose not to sign the FAFSA electronically, then you (and at least one parent if you are a dependent student) can sign a signature page. For Renewal FAFSA on the Web and Correction on the Web, a signature page is required for your parent only if your parental information is provided or altered.

Once you sign the signature page, you should mail it to the address printed on the page. By signing this application, you agree, if asked, to provide information that verifies the accuracy of your completed FAFSA. This information may include a copy of your U.S. or state income tax form. Do not mail income tax forms with the signature page.

By signing the signature page, you also certify that:
  • You will use federal student aid funds received during the award year covered by this application solely for educational expenses related to attendance during that year at the institution of higher education that determined eligibility for those funds;
  • You are not in default on a Title IV educational loan, or have repaid or made satisfactory arrangements to repay the loan if you are in default;
  • You do not owe an overpayment on a Title IV educational grant, or you have made satisfactory arrangements to repay that overpayment;
  • You will notify your school if you do owe an overpayment or are in default; and
  • You understand that the Secretary of Education has the authority to verify income reported on this application with the Internal Revenue Service and other federal agencies

If you purposely give false or misleading information, you may be fined $20,000, sent to prison, or both.

What is a Confirmation Number?

The last page of the online application submission process is a confirmation page, with a confirmation number. At a minimum, a confirmation number contains the following information:

  • Your Social Security Number
  • The first two letters of your last name
  • The date and time the application is submitted (all times are in Central Time)

Depending on the type of application, your confirmation number may also begin with either nine numbers or a single letter. This designates the type of application filed.

We recommend that you print this page for your records.

What is a Student Aid Report (SAR)?

A Student Aid Report (SAR) is a document you will receive after your FAFSA is processed. Your SAR will list all of the answers you provided on the FAFSA. You should review these answers carefully to make sure they are correct. If you need to make any changes, you can do so on the SAR and mail it back to the address provided, or you can go to and select "Make Corrections to a Processed FAFSA" from the FAFSA Follow-up section.

The SAR will also contain your EFC (Expected Family Contribution), which measures your family's financial strength, and is used to determine your eligibility for federal student aid during one school year. Your school will use this number to decide how much financial aid you are eligible to receive based on the school's cost of attendance.

If you do not provide electronic signatures or signature pages with the FAFSA, you must sign the SAR and mail it back to the address provided for final processing.

How can a U.S. Department of Education FSA ID be used?

A U.S. Department of Education PIN can be used for many federal student aid activities such as to:

  • Electronically sign a FAFSA
  • Use Renewal FAFSA on the Web to submit an application (if you applied last year)
  • Use Corrections on the Web to make corrections to a processed FAFSA
  • Check the status of a submitted FAFSA and view an electronic copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR)
  • Print a copy of your electronic SAR
  • Access the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) to view your financial aid information, if you have previously received student financial aid
  • Access the Direct Loan Servicing System at to

    (if you have Direct Loans)

  • Access the Direct Loan Consolidation Web site at
  • Electronically sign a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note at

1098 Tax Form Frequently Asked Questions

What is a 1098 form?

Every student who files taxes, or whose parents file taxes, need a 1098 form. On this form the year's total education expenses allowable for deduction are provided on this form, as well as any scholarships and grants the student received. If you paid more than you received, the difference may be deductible. If you received more than you paid, the difference may be taxable. For more information about education credits and deductions read Publication 970, available on line at

How to I get mine?

Your 1098 information and a printable form are available in January through One.IU by logging in and searching for "Student Center." With the Student Center open, scroll down and click on the links under the "Finances" section. If you have questions or problems, contact numbers are available at those links (The Office of Financial Aid is not responsible for this process).

Why don't the amounts match my fall awards and tuition costs? This statement is for the calendar year, so it includes information from the previous spring and summer as well as this fall. Any transactions that happened between January 1 and December 31 are included, even if they were for previous or future semesters.

Kentucky Resident Frequently Asked Questions

I am a Kentucky resident, can I use my KEES scholarship or CAP grant at IU Southeast?

While some Kentucky students are eligible for in-state tuition at IU Southeast through the reciprocity process, KEES and CAP money cannot be used at IU Southeast.  Those programs are funded by the state of Kentucky and must be used at a Kentucky university.  Even so, most Kentucky students find that IU Southeast is still the better value!

Do I qualify for in-state tuition?

Please see Student Central’s webpage for more information regarding the residency and reciprocity process.

Campus Events

Classes end (full-term and 2nd 7 week classes)
Final exams begin

Final exams begin

April 29th, 2020

All day event

Final exams end

Final exams end

May 5th, 2020

All day event

POSTPONED: Academic Honors Convocation

POSTPONED: Academic Honors Convocation

May 7th, 2020

All day event

Transcripts with grades available

Transcripts with grades available

May 11th, 2020

All day event

Official grades available in One.IU

Official grades available in One.IU

May 11th, 2020

All day event

POSTPONED: IU Southeast Commencement

POSTPONED: IU Southeast Commencement

May 11th, 2020

6:45 PM - 9:00 PM

See All Events » Submit an Event »