Are you a high school or community college teacher looking to boost your qualifications to teach dual credit courses in English language arts?
The Graduate Certificate program in composition studies explores the core principles of composition. You will learn to teach students to craft sound arguments using close attention to logic, context and audience, You will also develop a fluency with the current debates, schools and theories of writing instruction.
Specific areas of focus include:
- Contemporary theory on the pedagogy of composition and literature
- Linguistic structures and history of the English language
- Reading strategies and literary analysis, with attention to close reading, style, form, genre, and rhetorical practices
- Approaches to composition and writing instruction, including the identification and evaluation of sources, use of evidence, generation of ideas, and development and organization of argument
- Fostering discussion and developing presentation skills in a seminar setting
- Developing archival research skills and facility with electronic resources
- Developments, trends, and frontiers in the digital humanities