The Master of Science in Education with a major in elementary education requires 30 credit hours.

Core courses (12 credit hours)
Dept./Course # Title Credit Hours
EDUC-H 520 Education and Social Issues 3
EDUC-P 507 Assessment in Schools 3
EDUC-J 500 Instruction in Context of Curriculum 3
EDUC-E 590 Research in Education 3

Note: H520, P507 and J500 must be taken within the first 18 credit hours. A grade of B (3.0) or higher is required in all of these courses. (Note: A grade of "B-" is a 2.7 and will not meet the requirement).

*Candidates must have completed the first three core courses prior to being admitted to E590. Candidates must have permission in order to take the Research in Education course. Information related to the permission will be found in the schedule.

See Assessment »

Elementary pedagogy courses (9 credit hours)
Dept./Course # Title Credit Hours
EDUC-P 510 Psychology in Teaching 3
And any two of the following courses in the Advanced Study in the Teaching in Elementary Schools
EDUC-E 545 Advanced Study in the Teaching of Reading in Elementary School 3
EDUC-E 547 Adv. Study Teaching Soc. St. in Elem. Schools 3
EDUC-E 548 Adv. Study Teaching Science in Elem. Schools 3
EDUC-E 549 Adv. Study in Language Arts—Elementary 3
EDUC-L 511 Adv. Study Writing 3
EDUC-N 543 Adv. Study Teaching Mathematics 3
EDUC-L 530 National Writing Project
EDUC-Q 540 Teaching Environmental Education 3

Consult with Program Advisor to choose three of the following courses

Elementary courses (9 credit hours)
Dept./Course # Title Credit Hours
EDUC-A 508 School Law and the Teacher 3
EDUC-K 505 Introduction to Special Education for Graduate Students 3
EDUC-K 553 Management of Academic and Social Behavior 3
EDUC-L 524 Language Issues in ENL Instruction (E518/S512) 3
EDUC-P 515 Child Development 3
EDUC-P 570 Managing Classroom Behavior 3
EDUC-R 531 Computers in Education 3
EDUC-W 505 Professional Development Workshop: Improving Student Learning 3
EDUC-W 551 Education and Psychology of Gifted & Talented 3

For a summary curriculum checksheet, please contact the School of Education at

Electives or transfer courses as approved by the Director of Graduate Studies.