Admission to the Master of Science in Nursing program requires approval by the faculty and is based on the applicant’s qualifications as evidenced by grade point average, statement of professional aspirations, official transcripts, references, etc. A personal interview may be requested. Acceptance into the program is competitive.
Application deadline is April 1, 2019 for May 2019 Enrollment.
The following criteria must be met for unconditional admission:
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended are required. Please have the transcripts sent to MIS Attn: Eric Voelker, CV 018B, IU Southeast, 4201 Grant Line Road, New Albany, IN 47150.
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale from an NLNAC or CCNE accredited program.
- GRE testing is not required.
- Copy of current Indiana RN license: Current unencumbered license as a Registered Nurse (RN) in Indiana. Applicant must also complete a form statement attesting that there is no action pending or have been taken against their licensure in Indiana or any other state they currently hold or have held a license to practice nursing or healthcare. U.S. will need to submit evidence of passing the CGFNS exam.
- Statistics grade: Applicants need to have a grade of B- or higher in a three credit, 300 level (or higher) class, and it must have been taken within the last five years of the date of application. If the applicant took a course that is not at 300 level, applicant may check with a graduate counselor or submit a course syllabus (not course description) to be reviewed for acceptability.
- Essay (goal statement): A 250-word essay describing and explaining professional career aspirations as an advanced-practice nurse.
- Computer skills: Verification of ability to use computer technologies including accessing, retrieving, receiving, and communicating information.
- A test of English as a Foreign Language: Applicants whose native language is not English must take the Internet-based version of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), which has a speaking portion. International students must apply through the Indiana University Southeast Office of Admissions via the International Students website
- Essential abilities: Applicants must agree to the essential abilities policy of the School of Nursing. The policy states that students must demonstrate essential abilities in a variety of areas (judgment, neurological function, emotional coping skills, intellectual/conceptual skills, and other behavioral attributes) as well as meeting all progression criteria.
- References: Applicants need three professional references. Please use this form when supplying references.
- Criminal background check: Applicants must provide verification of a federal criminal background check within the past 12 months.
- Clinical practice: Two years of full-time relevant clinical practice as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the past five years. Application may be made during the cycle when the two years is in process.
Please send application materials to:
Dr. Donna Bowles, Ed.D., Dean
School of Nursing
Life Sciences Building, Room 276
4201 Grant Line Road
New Albany, IN 47150