The Groups Scholars Program was established as a way to increase college attendance among first-generation, underrepresented students attending Indiana University Southeast. As part of the Multicultural Student Center, the Groups Scholars Program maximizes financial aid, provides academic and social support to selected underrepresented Indiana college students from matriculation to graduation and beyond.
Supporting students for success
What are the benefits for students?
Students who are admitted as Groups Scholars spend six weeks during the late summer term before their freshman year taking courses in College Writing and First Year Seminar while being introduced to the campus and establishing a network of social and academic support. The program offers an extensive student support system, including academic advising, priority registration, tutoring, enrollment in specialized courses, and activities designed to foster academic success and degree completion throughout the academic year.
Requirements for eligibility
In order to qualify for the Groups Scholars Program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Admitted first-year, full-time student
- Be a resident of the state of Indiana
- Be a U.S (United States). citizen or eligible non-citizen (Has a green card)
- Meet the income and eligibility guidelines for PELL eligibility+
- Have a minimum cumulative high school GPA of at least 2.3
- Complete the minimum (34 hours) college preparatory courses (Core40)
- Must be recommended to the program
- Must file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) by the priority deadline of April 15
Personal characteristics also are an important part of being a Groups Scholar. We look for students who demonstrate a positive attitude, a sense of civility, the ability to persevere, a strong motivation to succeed, an excellent attendance record, and a commitment to earn a college degree.
Join the Groups Scholars Program
Complete the application in full to be considered for the Groups Scholars Program. You must also complete an application for IU Southeast admissions and receive your IU student ID number.
For more information about the Groups Scholars Program, please reach out to Seuth Chaleunphonh at firstname.lastname@example.org or (812) 941-2319.