Getting Started Checklist
- Apply for admission to IU Southeast (only admitted students can live in housing, if you are an IVY Tech student, please call us for more information).
- Apply for financial aid by completing the FAFSA. If you need help, our Financial Aid Office is happy to assist you. Visit Financial Aid for more information.
- Request your roommate. Roommate requests can be submitted through the application process but can also be e-mailed to our office at email@example.com. To be honored, roommates need to request each other.
- Meet deadline. The priority deadline for new applicants is March 1st.
- Make your choices known. If you have specific requests, please mark it on your application or contact our office to discuss possible options.
- Watch the mail and check your email. Room assignments will occur in early July. You will receive a letter informing you of your assignment and roommates for the Fall in early July, so check your mail frequently.
Things to Consider
The Residence Life and Housing contract is similar to an apartment lease, but in many significant ways it is very different.
- The contract is for a FULL academic year. The contract starts a few days before Fall classes begin. The contract ends the day after final exams in the Spring semester. Unlike a normal lease, we do not offer month to month contracts.
- We do not release students from a housing contract for any other reason other than the following:
- Academic dismissal or suspension.
- Approved academic, off-campus programs (such as study abroad, student teaching, or distance internships)
- Medical reasons. The student must provide medical documentation of why student housing is no longer meeting his/her health needs
- Called to military service.
- International student visa status revocation.
- Change in personal finances. This requires extensive documentation of the changes in personal finances. Some examples may include: change in employment status of a parent, extreme change to financial aid, or significant loss of income not due to employment (such as through a divorce, loss in the family, etc.)
- Graduation! (we never mind releasing a student from contract for this reason!)
- We can only discuss the contract with the student. If the student wishes to include parents or family members, they can give us consent in writing.
- We do offer Spring Only contracts for students who are beginning at IU Southeast in the Spring semester. We do NOT offer Fall Only contracts.
- Summer contracts are different and applications are available during the Spring semester.
Contracts are secured with a $75 application fee. This is paid to the Bursar's office and submitted with the contract.
We bill for housing with the Bursar's office and time it to coincide with Financial Aid and loan disbursements. It is important to know that we bill for one semester at a time. The charges that will appear on the student's bill will only be for one semester. We bill for the second semester in January. Again, this is to coincide with loan and aid disbursement.
We periodically run checks to see how much has been paid. Students who are far behind in payments will receive reminders to pay. Additionally, be aware that not paying housing charges may lead to holds being placed on the student's account which would prevent him or her for registering for classes. Students who are significantly behind in payments in late November may face removal from housing. We attempt to avoid this as much as possible, but non-payment means an inability to register for classes and therefore an ineligibility to live in student housing.