The passage of the 2008 Higher Education Opportunity Act includes a requirement for institutions that have students living on campus to develop a missing person’s policy and notification procedure. In compliance with that requirement and to respond appropriately to reports of missing students, IU Southeast has developed the following policy and procedure. This policy applies to all students who live on campus, regardless of age.


IU Southeast will notify a designated emergency contact person as soon as possible when University Police deem a residential student has been missing for at least 24 hours.


  1. Residential students 18 years of age and older have the option to designate an individual as an emergency contact to be notified by the University.
  2. If the residential student is under the age of 18 and not an emancipated individual, the institution is required to notify a custodial parent or guardian.
  3. Residential students will have the opportunity to provide the emergency contact person’s information before and during the move-in process.
  4. Campus community members must report suspected missing persons to the IU Southeast Police.
  5. University Police will thoroughly investigate all reports of missing persons.
  6. If, after the investigation, University Police determines that a residential student of any age has been missing for at least 24 hours, the University will notify the designated emergency contact person as soon as possible. The University may also notify additional law enforcement agencies according to Indiana state law and guidelines of the Department of Education.

Sometimes it can be difficult to determine if a student is truly missing or if his/her schedule or routine simply changed. Students can support this policy and peers in the residential community by:

  1. Informing friends, roommates, and/or family members of any changes to their normal routine (e.g. if they will be gone for the weekend, if they will not be returning to campus as usual).
  2. Notifying the Office of Residence Life and Housing, friends, and family members of any changes to contact information (e.g. cell phone number, personal e-mail account).
  3. Notifying the Office of Residence Life and Housing of any changes to an emergency contact person’s information.
  4. Reporting any concerns about a residential student’s welfare to Residence Life and Housing and the University Police.