Indiana University Southeast Indiana University Southeast IU Southeast

Menu Search

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) allows F-1 students to gain experience in their fields of study prior to graduation. Most F-1 students who have been studying full time for at least 9 months or 2 semesters are eligible for CPT.

Requirements of CPT Employment

In order to qualify for CPT, the employment must comply with at least ONE of the following conditions:

  • Fulfills an optional or required internship in the academic program OR
  • Fulfills a requirement for a regular course or independent study in an academic program OR
  • If working on a thesis or final project, the work must contribute "materially and substantially" to the final paper or project.

Apply for CPT

Step 1: Meet with your academic advisor and a career counselor. Explain that in order to be authorized to work off campus, international students must be registered for a course which is connected to the work. The advisor and counselor should guide the student in finding a suitable internship and in choosing a course which would qualify for CPT.

Step 2: Start applying for jobs.

Step 3: Once offered a job, get an official offer of employment letter from the prospective employer. Download a template.

Step 4: Ask your academic advisor to complete the CPT form.

Step 5: Register for internship hours through the Career Development Center.

Step 6: Submit your employment offer and CPT form to your International Student Advisor. Authorization for CPT is noted directly on the I-20 form, and takes approximately one week to process.

PLEASE NOTE: F-1 students can use an unlimited amount of part-time CPT and still get 12 months of Optional Practical Training (OPT) following completion of studies. However, you use more than 12 months of full-time (over 20 hours/week) CPT, you will no longer be eligible for OPT.

SOCIAL SECURITY: Social Security (FICA) should not be withheld from the wages of an F-1 student on CPT if the student is classified as a non-resident for tax purposes. Earnings are, however, subject to federal, state, and local taxes.

Campus Events

Digital Marketing Conference image

Digital Marketing Conference

March 1st, 2017

9:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Graduate Business Information Session image

Graduate Business Information Session

March 7th, 2017

5:30 PM - 7:00 PM

American Red Cross Blood Drive image

American Red Cross Blood Drive

March 8th, 2017

12:00 PM - 5:15 PM

Commonwealth Brass Band image

Commonwealth Brass Band

March 12th, 2017

3:00 PM - 4:30 PM

NSLS Live Speaker Broadcast: Journalist Anderson Cooper image

NSLS Live Speaker Broadcast: Journalist Anderson Cooper

March 12th, 2017

7:00 PM - 9:00 PM

2017 Sanders Speaker Series Featuring John Schnatter image

2017 Sanders Speaker Series Featuring John Schnatter

March 15th, 2017

6:00 PM - 7:00 PM

International Festival image

International Festival

March 21st, 2017

5:00 PM - 8:00 PM

The Louisville Orchestra image

The Louisville Orchestra

March 24th, 2017

7:30 PM - 9:00 PM

Adam Trent: Magician Reinvented image

Adam Trent: Magician Reinvented

March 30th, 2017

7:30 PM - 9:00 PM

Chancellor's Medallion Dinner image

Chancellor's Medallion Dinner

April 1st, 2017

5:00 PM - 10:00 PM

IU Southeast Concert Choir & Community Chorus image

IU Southeast Concert Choir & Community Chorus

April 2nd, 2017

3:00 PM - 4:30 PM

See All Events » Submit an Event »