Requirements for Exemption
To qualify for the waiver, students must submit documentation that shows the following coverage in English:
The name of the insurance company and the policy number
The dates of coverage (Ex. January 1, 2012 to January 2, 2013). Your policy’s coverage must become effective by no later than the first day of classes. For the Fall, your policy must provide coverage until December 31. For the Spring/Summer, you must have coverage until August 9.
The monetary limits of coverage – they must be at a minimum:
- $100,000 minimum benefit ($250,000 is recommended)
- $100,000 USD for each sickness or illness
- $100,000 USD for each accident or injury
- $50,000 USD for medical evacuation*
- $25,000 for repatriation**
- Deductible of not more than $500 per accident or illness
- Coverage Dates: You must have coverage for the year. Fall: must start on the first day of class (or earlier) and cover the entire fall semester; Spring: must start on the first day of class (or earlier) and cover the entire spring semester and summer.
NOTE: Female students or male students with a dependent wife in the U.S. must also show coverage for maternity care. This must be covered at the same monetary limit as any other sickness of injury. It must include all matters related to pregnancy and childbirth.
* medical evacuation: to return a student to their home country (with medical personnel in attendance) if a student becomes critically ill and hospitalized for over five days and a doctor decides it is necessary
** repatriation: to return a deceased body back to the home country for burial