Wiley Journal Package Cancellation
The Wiley Journal Package that IU Southeast is proposing cancelling is known as a "Big Deal Package". This is a subscription model offered by publishers in which libraries pay a large annual subscription for access to nearly ALL of a publisher's journal content.
Big Deal Packages, like the Wiley Journal package, can overburden and exhaust the library budget in several ways:
- Requiring large annual subscriptions that take up too much space in the Library's collection budget
- Increasing annually at an on average rate of 4-5%
- Giving the perception that Libraries, even those with flat and reduced budgets, can and should provide subscription access or PDF full-text access to everything produced by a publisher when alternative access models do exist and can meet campus needs.
Big Deals at the IU Southeast Library
The IU Southeast Library currently subscribes to 3 Big Deal packages:
- Elsevier College Edition Journal Packages ($55,012.21)
- Wiley Journal Package ($47,984.59)
- Sage Journal Package ($36,588.49)
Last fiscal year, these three journal packages accounted for 35% of the IU Southeast Library's collection budget. During the next fiscal year, the Library will face another budget reduction.
The Library is proposing the cancellation of the Wiley Package, the least used of its Big Deal packages, as a way to create a more sustainable budget that will:
- Allow the Library to meet its new collection budget.
- Allow the Library to accommodate and plan for an electronic collection that increases on average $16,764 a year.
- Allow the Library to expand or add new resources and services that have been requested by faculty and are the new norm in the Library collections (streaming vide, statistic databases, textbook affordability initiatives, Newspaper site licenses, etc.)
Wiley Package Breakdown
|Article Usage Group||Count of Journal Titles||% of Total Journals|
|10 to 24 Uses||54||5.26%|
*Since 2010, 10% of IU Southeast faculty article scholarship has been published with Wiley
See the complete list of Wiley Titles.
Alternate Access of Wiley content
Library Research has shown that the usage of individual journals that are a part of Big Deals to be clustered into a small portion of journal titles. The IU Southeast Wiley package bares this out.
In terms of access to this Wiley content, the Library's subscription to this package is not the lone option for faculty and students.
- Of the 214 journals that average 5 or more users within the Wiley Package, 52% have some availability in other Library subscribed databases.
- Of the 1026 journals that are apart of the Wiley Package, 100% are available via the IU Southeast Interlibrary loan service. This service fills article requests within 1-3 days.
- Two of the most used Wiley titles will become individual subscriptions and all access will be retained by IU Southeast - Journal of Advanced Care Nursing & Journal of Clinical Nursing.
- Other select Wiley Journals will be included in a new Articles on Demand service that allows faculty and students to discover this content in the same way, request them, and have them delivered to their email within 15 minutes. Instead of paying for a subscription, the IU Southeast Library will pay per article request, which provides the library with considerable cost savings.
For information about these cancellations and/or for a complete list of the Wiley Package journals please contact Mitchell Scott (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the IU Southeast Library.