To ensure that students in the School of Nursing uphold professional standards, integrity, and behavior expectations in the Nursing Program, all students are required to submit verification of a National Criminal Background Check upon admission to the School of Nursing and in each year thereafter.
- Students admitted to the Indiana University Southeast School of Nursing are required to submit verification of a national criminal background check as a condition of admission to the program and prior to each fall semester annually.
- Junior and Senior nursing students are required to submit to the Nursing Office a copy of the national criminal background check results prior to the Fall semester each year.
- Students in the RN-BSN cohort must submit verification of a National Criminal Background Check prior to being admitted into the RN-BSN cohort.
- Arrangements and cost for the National Criminal Background Check are the responsibility of the student.
- Information regarding criminal offense or conviction gathered as a result of a background investigation may result in denial of admission, dismissal, or other action deemed appropriate by the School of Nursing. This includes but not limited to:
- Any criminal offense or conviction affecting licensing by the Indiana Health Professions Bureau pursuant to statue IC 25-1-1.1
- Any criminal offense or conviction affecting licensing by the Kentucky Board of Nursing per Statute KRS 314.109. Examples include:
- Dishonesty, substance abuse, sexual offenses, breach of trust, danger to the public safety, or physical harm or endangerment.
- The acts from which the conviction resulted may be considered as to whether the student should be entrusted to serve the public as a registered nurse.
To complete the criminal background check. Go to the IU Southeast Nursing website and click on the criminal background check link that is located below the Dean’s welcoming statement.
- There you will register, e-authorize and pay on-line.
- The company (Safe Hiring Solutions) will send results of your background check to the School of Nursing.