ANA Standards of Professional Performance
The American Nurses Association has implemented Standards of Professional Performance (2010) that describe a competent level of behavior in the professional role. Registered nurses are accountable for their professional actions to themselves, their patients, their peers, and ultimately to society.
- The registered nurse practices ethically.
- The registered nurse attains knowledge and competency that reflects current nursing practice.
- The registered nurse integrates evidence and research findings into practice.
- The registered nurse contributes to quality nursing practice.
- The registered nurse communicates effectively in all areas of practice.
- The registered nurse demonstrates leadership in the professional practice setting and the profession.
- The registered nurse collaborates with healthcare consumers, families, and others in the conduct of nursing practice.
- The registered nurse evaluates her or his own nursing practice in relation to professional practice standards and guidelines, relevant statutes, rules, and regulations.
- The registered nurse utilizes appropriate resources to plan and provide nursing services that are safe, effective, and financially responsible.
- The registered nurse practices in an environmentally safe and healthy manner