RN-BSN Completion Program Requirements
The RN to BSN Completion Program at IU Southeast is designed for the RN with an Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN) degree or a nursing diploma who prefers face to face classes. After completing the required pre-requisites the student begins the RN-BSN courses which are available on a one-day-a-week schedule. The RN-BSN required courses start in May of one year and are completed in May of the following year.
The RN-BSN completion program has been developed to address the specific needs of working registered nurses who return to the university to earn the BSN. It is designed for RNs whose highest academic credential in nursing is a diploma or associate degree in nursing.
RN to BSN courses are offered using a variety of instructional methods to facilitate student learning and ease of degree completion.
- In most cases, the student can take courses by attending class only one day a week.
- Upon admission to the nursing cohort, the registered nurse can graduate within one year.
- Credit is awarded for relevant courses taken at other accredited institutions of higher learning.
- Registered nurses receive advanced standing in the baccalaureate program following successful completion of required nursing transition courses.
- Registered nurses can receive credit for valid specialty certification from a professional nursing organization in an appropriate area of nursing. A maximum of 2 credit hours may be awarded.
- Students can receive credit for prior knowledge and skills consistent with specific required course objectives/outcomes through the portfolio option.
- Many academic activities can be integrated into the RN's current professional practice.
University Credit Hour & Residency Requirements
All Baccalaureate degrees offered by IU Southeast requires a minimum of 120 credit hours and a minimum of 30 credit hours of upper-level coursework (300-level or above). No more than 64 credit hours earned in accredited junior/community colleges may be applied toward a Baccalaureate degree. The University Residency Requirement dictates that students must complete no less than 26 credit hours at IU Southeast during their senior year and no less than 10 credit hours of coursework in the major field of study.
Department of Nursing Residency Requirements
Undergraduate students must complete a minimum of 30 credit hours on the campus awarding the degree. Like all Baccalaureate degrees offered by IU Southeast, the [BS in Clinical Laboratory Science] requires a minimum of 120 credit hours and a minimum of 30 credit hours of upper-level coursework (300-level or above). No more than 64 credit hours earned in accredited junior/community colleges may be applied toward a Baccalaureate degree. The University Residency Requirement dictates that students must complete no less than 26 credit hours at IU Southeast during their senior year and no less than 10 credit hours of coursework in the major field of study.
The RN-BSN Completion program requires that the student complete 30 hours on the campus conferring the degree.
Thirty hours credit in residency is required for the baccalaureate degree. RN students must meet this requirement to be eligible for graduation. The following required nursing courses may be used to meet the residency requirement:
Courses to be taken
|B331 Transition to Baccalaureate Nursing Practice||3|
|B344 Comprehensive Health Assessment||3|
|H355 Data Analysis in Clinical Practice and Healthcare||3|
|K301 Complementary Health||3|
|B304 Health Policy||3|
|S474 Applied Healthcare Ethics||3|
|H365 Research Process||3|
|S475 A Multi-System Approach to Health of the Community||3|
|S487 Nursing Management||3|
|R470 Clinical Nursing Practice Capstone||3|
Students must petition the Admission, Progression and Graduation Committee for special consideration of any exceptions to academic policy.
Program Progression: RN students must successfully complete all required prerequisite courses before progressing to the next level of courses. Please consult with the academic advisor for course planning options.
General Education Core Requirements
All IU Southeast Baccalaureate degrees require 30 credit hours of General Education Core coursework. Students must select a course(s) to satisfy each category listed below. View the list of courses that satisfy the General Education Core requirements.
- Information Literacy (1 credit)
- Written Communications I (3 credits)
- Written Communications II (3 credits)
- Oral Communications (3 credits)
- Ethical Reasoning/Diversity (3 credits)
- Natural Sciences (one lecture – 3 credits, one lab – 2 credits)
- Arts/Humanities(3 credits)
- Social Science(3 credits)
- General Education Additional Requirement (Art, Humanities, or Social Science) (3 credits)
Please note that several courses required for your Major may “double dip” with the general education core courses.