B-2. Criminal Background Check
Target Group: Basic BSN and RN-BSN Students
Policy Type: Revision
To provide consistent interpretation of clock hours per credit hour.
- Students admitted to the Indiana University Southeast School of Nursing are required to submit verification of a national criminal background check as a condition of admission to the program and each fall semester annually.
- Junior and Senior nursing students are required to submit to the Nursing Office a copy of the national criminal background check results prior to the Fall semester each year.
- Students in the RN-BSN cohort must submit verification of a National Criminal Background Check prior to being admitted into the RN-BSN cohort.
- Arrangements and cost for the National Criminal Background Check are the responsibility of the student.
- Information regarding criminal offense or conviction gathered as a result of a background investigation may result in denial of admission, dismissal, or other action deemed appropriate by the School of Nursing. This includes but not limited to:
- Any criminal offense or conviction affecting licensing by the Indiana Health Professions Bureau pursuant to statue 1C 25-1-1.1
- Any criminal offense or conviction affecting licensing by the Kentucky Board of Nursing per Statute KRS 314.109.
- Examples include:
- Dishonesty, substance abuse, sexual offenses, breach of trust, danger to the public safety, or physical harm or endangerment.
- The acts from which the conviction resulted may be considered as to whether the student should be entrusted to serve the public as a registered nurse.
Confidentiality: The handling of all records and subject information will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access. Any breach of confidentiality will be considered serious and appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.
- Students seeking admission to the nursing program will not be fully admitted until background check results are in.
- Students will be informed of the process (location, cost) for obtaining a National Criminal Background Check at new student orientation, and on the Indiana University Southeast School of Nursing website at http://www.ius.edu/nursing/.
Effective Date: Fall 2010
Approved by: Admission, Progression, Graduation Committee: February 8, 2010
Approved by: Council of Nursing Faculty: March 15, 2010
Approved by: Revised by CNF: November 21, 2011